cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

flash won't work

Sheila928
Apprentice

I have a Power shot A590. Have replaced all the batteries. Flash won't work. Takes a picture with the flash turned off. What am I doing wrong?

Sheila

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I would suspect that the flash bulb is not working. Do you get a message on the camera LCD that the battery is charging in the flash mode? If not, then the circuit that charges the flash may be defective as well. By design the camera will not take a photo until the flash is fully charged. If the bulb or circuit is at fault, they would need to be replaced. For this camera, the repair would cost more than the camera is worth.

Steve M.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

cicopo
Elite

Check that you haven't instructed the flash to NOT fire. This link should be to a photo of the back of your camera. Notice the Lightning bolt on the top switch over the FUNC / SET button. With the camera turned on to take a photo (not the review mode) pressing that switch should cycle through 3 options (based on the cameras I've owned) Flash on, Flash off, or Auto. When it says Flash on press the SET button.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A590IS/popup.htm?http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A590IS/...

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks, but I know about that and have made sure it is or isn't on. With it off I can take pictures, with it on it won't.

I would suspect that the flash bulb is not working. Do you get a message on the camera LCD that the battery is charging in the flash mode? If not, then the circuit that charges the flash may be defective as well. By design the camera will not take a photo until the flash is fully charged. If the bulb or circuit is at fault, they would need to be replaced. For this camera, the repair would cost more than the camera is worth.

Steve M.

Thanks. That's what I suspected, but hoped was not the case.  I appreciate your taking the time to reply.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements