cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

elph 300hs,two cameras the same,one not working with windows 10

riche
Apprentice

trouble with camera one,bought # 2 but why doesnt computer recognise the new one?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Riche,

Thanks for your reply.

I regret that I wasn't clear. Your cameras won't have the same serial numbers.

Since one of your cameras works with your computer and the other doesn't, let's concentrate on the camera that doesn't correctly connect to your computer and put the other camera away.

Please connect your camera, as previously described, and reply with the requested information.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@riche wrote:

trouble with camera one,bought # 2 but why doesnt computer recognise the new one?

The computer needs some means to differentiate between the two devices.  If the camera transmits some sort of unique identification data, which I don't think any camera does across USB, then the computer cannot distinguish between them.

But, something is happening that is causing the second camera to not connect, which shoots my hypothesis in the foot.  What happens if you delete the first camera from the computer, and then try to add the second one?

Short of setting up different users logins for each camera, and restricting the access to just the one user, you might be out of luck.  The cameras are too similar.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Riche,

Thanks for posting.

If only one of the cameras isn't being detected (i.e. same serial number) using the same cable and USB terminal, but connecting only one camera at a time, please take a look at its connection in your computer's Device Manager.

Before checking the Device Manager, let's look at the connection for your camera.

1. If your computer is a desktop unit, is the USB cord plugged into the back of the computer? (Recommended)
  2. If it's a laptop, is your computer running on AC power? (Recommended)
  3. We recommend against plugging your camera into a USB hub. Please ensure that you plug your camcorder directly into one of your computer's USB terminals.

An easy way to get into the Device Manager is to right-click on the Windows/ Start icon, then click on "Device Manager".

Once in the Device Manger, please look for the "Portable Devices" folder. If your camera is in there, please right-click on the driver and uninstall the driver. Once this process is complete, please turn your camera off for a few seconds, then turn it back on (in the playback mode).

Please let us know what happens.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

i got it so i canget pictures to my desktop,only used for ebay selling,how can two cameras have the same serial #.,.,.,TIA.,.,.,I ONLY DO SIMPLE THINGS,THOUGHT BUYING THE SAME EXACT CAMERA WAS the EASY WAY OUT?

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Riche,

Thanks for your reply.

I regret that I wasn't clear. Your cameras won't have the same serial numbers.

Since one of your cameras works with your computer and the other doesn't, let's concentrate on the camera that doesn't correctly connect to your computer and put the other camera away.

Please connect your camera, as previously described, and reply with the requested information.

Announcements