cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does the sx520hs have a view finder

mxbob
Contributor

just got the sx520hs.  looks like a nice camera, but I want a view finder.  This one has 2 small holes kind of where the view finder might be and I wondered if it was an accesory

or, what other camera is equivalent to the sx5250hs that does have a view finder

20 REPLIES 20

when I first press menu, it says digital zoom off..is this ok or should I put it to on

and when the lcd screen is open or on and turned around I cant use the viewfinder...is this normal

also,sometimes the image is blurred in the finder, but the actual picture looks ok.  I havent read the manual yet so I'm sure I dont know what I'm doing.  I have it set to auto

With the digital zoom off you will be limited to 50X optical zoom. I leave the digital zoom on, there is a bar indicator that shows when it is entering digital zoom. There are some reasons to not want to be in digital zoom, you can goolge that topic. For my tastes I leave it on.

When you open the LCD it automatically turns the viefinder off. The camera cannot send the image to both at the same time. You can toggle between the viewfinder and LCD by pressing the Display button on the back, bottom right side repeatedly..

Thhere is a small diopter adjustment dial on the left of the viewfinder to focus it for you and also to correct for eyeglasses.

ok, thanks again

going to have a grandchild soon and want to take good pictures.  any tips for close up face pics

The camera does a very good job on face pictures in Auto mode. There are almost an infinite amount of settings you can adjust when not in Auto but I would suggest not going there until you are more familiar with your camera. However the great thing about digital cameras is you see the instant results and no waste of film ! So if your grandchild will tolerate you taking multitudes of pictures don't be afraid of trying different settings if you want.

On close up pictures you want to be careful with the lighting and the use of the built in flash. I use an external flash with a light diffuser and I bounce the flash off the ceiling. I'm assuming you will be indoors, if your outside just using Auto will get you excellent pictures.

Try using it without the built in flash, use room lighting add some if you need to.

Or use the flash and the flash compensation settings to tone down the power of the flash. You can lower it to a minus 2 setting. It's on page 144 of the user manual.

Don't get overwhelmed like I said it takes beautiful pictures with no or very little input from us the user !

Im going to include a link from a professional photograper M West on you tube who does a whole series on digital photograpy. He speaks in simple terms, with great examples. And what is really awesome is he uses the SX50HS for all his lessons! I watched and still watch them to learn. I think you will learn a lot from them and he breaks them down into different topics and areas of photograpy. I think there may be one on faces or portraits as well as flash photograpy.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MWESTPhotography

Congradulations on the grandchild !!

thanks, I find it easier talking to someone who has used  it rather than reading a book.  was the user manual supposed to come with it or do you have to download it

They stopped sending them, they use to send nice compact booklets of the whole manual but now you have to download it.

I think you'll like those videos then !

Your very welcome !

was watching video of part 1 and he says when you switch to "P" mode and press the button under the record button [which is the delete button] you can move the box around to focus on something outside of center.  When I switch to "P" mode and press the delete button, I dont move the box, I get a normal, macro, focus thing that comes up..  What am I doing wrong?

Yes the focus bracket button also doubles as the delete button but you have to make sure you have it set to Flexizone in the sttings menu first on page 134 in the user manual

Here's where to look

flexi.PNG

I ended up playing around and found a setting that said, reset to factory default.  I clicked yes and it works fine now.  I dont know what I did to change it, but will look closer at the page you mentioned.  Thanks again

Announcements