cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

digital photography training needed

jbcohen
Contributor

Here is my question right off the bat - where do you go for digiral photography training?  I need the sort of training that is independent of how to use the camera that I am holding and instead tackles such topics as how to set the apateur and the shutter and pick the right ISO.

4 REPLIES 4

In U.S. cities, community colleges or vocational schools often have night classes or lectures on such topics. There are also books; the ones I've looked at seem to be pretty good. Even if you sign up for a night school class, I'd recommend doing some reading beforehand, just so that what you hear won't seem so unfamiliar.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I'll look up the classes at my local community college, are there any specific book titles that you can recommend that teach some good photographty skills.  Not how to use your camera, the camera manual has done a good job of that but how to take great photos.

Sir, with all due respect... there is no substitute for practice. What the manual tells you is what the camera is doing, or trying to do, when you point it and shoot. This is by no means a minor matter.

That said, the book entitled "Photography"( London, Upton, Kobre, Brill, published by Prentice Hall)  is considered a  general textbook of the field by many and was in its 7th edition when I acquired my copy. It would be a good place to start.

In addition, many photographers find that they are partiularly drawn to the work of one or anther of the famous photographers, such as Ansel Adams or Henri Cartier Bresson, and get inspiration from studying their work. I own a copy of "Ansel Adams Guide: Basic Techniques of Photography, Book 1". 

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Well said and whats the old bromide that my parents always said to me "practice makes perfect."  My new canon power shot sx510hs should help with that since its much smaller than my XT it can go places that the XT can't simply becuase of size.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements