Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't email .mov. Can I change format?

fritzmom
Contributor

Hi All, first time posting.

PowerShot A530

Windows 7 Prof 32 bit

I've had this camera for quite a bit but I've only just started taking videos with it. The reason to take videos was to email them to family. I copy them from the camera to my PC via the provided USB cable.

Once in my PC, they are in .mov format and quite huge for short videos. Much too large for my email provider to accept. A 1 1/2 minute video is 293 MB.

My husband can take videos with his Blackberry and email them. One of them was just short of 5 minutes in length but only 18 MB in size (.3gp format).

Is there ANY way that I can create videos with my camera and keep them compact enough to be able to email them?

Thanks for any help

4 REPLIES 4

Skirball
Authority

You can use pretty much any video editing program to convert the video to a more compressed format.  I usually use H.264 and I use Photoshop to convert it.  It gives me several options of H.264 some of them impressively small yet decent quality.  Adobe also has Premeire Pro and After Effects.  Their purpose is far more advanced, but they can do the simple act of converting video.  Of course, all these programs are costly.

I believe Apple's Quicktime, the original .MOV player, can convert formats.  Otherwise there are plenty of free programs that can do it, but there's going to be some level of advertising/spam/spyware in most.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fileextensions/tp/free-video-converter.htm

Thanks very much for the quick response, the suggestion and the link.

Decision now to spend money on software - how often will I use it

Or, download 'free' and get unwanted stuff loaded

upload it to the Youtube or VIMEO [ make it private ] and share the video with your family by typing email id s

susansmith
Apprentice

I have three suggestions: 1 you can set your camcorder parameter, lower the resolution of your video.  2 burn your video to dvd to send them to your family. 3. get a video format tool to convert your video to a smaller video, you can change the video bitrate, and resolution, and choose a proper output format.

Announcements