cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best ELPH series camera under 250$ apprx

prem_hpk
Apprentice

Hi,

i'm planning to buy camera for personal imaging..can you suggest some of the latest/best cameras from canon under 250$ apprx.

Thanks in Advance,

Prem

8 REPLIES 8

prem_hpk
Apprentice

I planned to buy ELPH series but confused with so many...

ELPH 520 HS

ELPH 530 HS

ELPH 330 HS

ELPH 320 HS

ELPH 115 IS

ELPH 110 HS

It will be be great if you can help me to choose the best....

Thanks

Prem

Here's a decent comparison by CNET:

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/canon-powershot-elph-530/4505-6501_7-35139821.html

Here's Canon's comparison chart where you can compare specs:

https://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras?pageKeyCode=65&category=090...

Which is the "best" depends on what you want.  I don't know much about the ELPHs, but it's safe to say the most expensive one with have the most bells and whistles.  You have to decide which of these bells and whistles are worth the cost to you.

Wow.  Ok, you're right, leave it to Canon to keep it confusing.  I thought the CNET review was wrong, but I checked the Canon comparion and it's not.  The 530 adds WiFi and a touch screen over the 520, where the 320 seems to be the same upgrade over the 110, not the 330.  I have no idea what the 330 is, it has less pixels than the 320, no WiFi or touch.

That said, personally I'd look at the 330.  16MP is too many for a point and shoot sensor, IMHO.  I also have no desire for touch screen, and not sure I care about WiFi on a point and shoot.  You may feel different.

The 520 adds a little more zoom but loses a little more wide angle (more important to me).  It can go up a stop in shutter speed (1/4000).  It doesn't have as wide an aperature at wide angle, but the 330 gets really small zoomed in.  The 520 has a faster shots per second.

Those are the features I look at, but again, you're may be different.  I don't care about all those customs settings, and triggering the shutter with a smile and whatnot.

The specs are all over the place.  Seriously Canon, where you going with this?

Any idea about  EPH 530...it is boxy....It has touch screen with wifi, LCD Monitor with wide viewing angle ,mini HDMI out,  shutter speed of 1-1/4000 sec, Flash Range of 1.6 - 8.2 ft. and ISO 100/200/400/800/1600/3200

It has following specs.... what does that mean...I have no idea about these....does these spec look good..

Type : 10.1 Megapixel, 1/2.3-inch CMOS
Total Pixels : Approx. 16.8 Megapixels
Effective Pixels : Approx. 10.1 Megapixels

Im concerned about MP here....it lists diff MP....

Maximum Aperture : f/3.4 (W) - f/5.6 (T)

Finally Is it a good buy....

Regards,
Prem

Canon means that this camera uses the 10mpx portion of the total 16.8 Mpx sensor.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

I don't know about this camera, but here is the Pros/Cons from the review online here: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-530hs/canon-530hsA.HTM

Pro: Con:

• Attractive and stylish "box and circle" design that harks back to the glory days of early ELPH cameras
  • Highly portable with a snazzy matte front plate
  • White version made us think of the classic iPod design
  • Very versatile 12x (28mm-336mm) lens helps in a variety of shooting situations
  • Optical image stabilization helps correct handshake
  • Big, 3.2-inch LCD screen with 154,000 pixels (461,000 dots)
  • A relatively fast performer with minimal shutter lag and good shot-to-shot times
  • Full 1080p HD video shooting with stereo sound
  • High-speed Burst mode lets you capture 6.1 frames per second but at a reduced resolution
  • Some fun scene modes including Toy Camera, Monochrome, Fish-eye, and Miniature
  • Image quality limited by small 16.8MP sensor with 10MP output
  • Lens produced soft images, lacking in detail, particularly at the telephoto end
  • Images showed noticeable purple fringing (chromatic aberration) in areas of high contrast, such as tree branches against the sky
  • Touchscreen interface is sluggish and awkward to use
  • Built-in WiFi function is difficult to figure out and only moderately useful; a missed opportunity
  • Very little external control and limited menu-based control as well
  • Small rechargeable battery only gives you 190 shots
  • Full HD video limited to 24fps
  • Scrolling through images via the touch-swipe method can be slow and frustrating
  • Uses smaller and more expensive microSD cards
  • Slow startup time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As general rules, the 5xx series is more expensive and has more features which you may not need. I see that the 320HS has pretty good rating online. I cannot recommend you a specific one. But I think you can look into the 320HS then go up or down from there depend on your usage.
Image quality wise, P&S camera especially lower tier doesn't change much from one generation to another. In short, I think most of the camera you listed will have similar image quality. So chose one with the options you need/want.

Thanks for your prompt replies...

Since this is my first camera I'm very much confused... It will be great if you can suggest me any good camera from canon with good pixels, ISO, shutter speed, good burst ...

Thanks in Advance,

Prem

Announcements