cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

battery flashes red when taking movie? sx280

myasg
Enthusiast

in shooting mode on the sx280 it shows a full battery - when i go into movie mode the battery flasshes red - why is this - please assist.  [Mod note - removed email address (for your safety) - please see FORUM GUIDELINES].  canon sx280.  thanks.

34 REPLIES 34

factoryguy
Apprentice

I have the same problem.  (see my post - a little more detail)

Anyone else?

http://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/PowerShot/SX280-battery-life-shooting-video/m-p/22489 [Mod note- inserted link for convenience of community]

Yes - also having this problem.  Hopefully it can be fixed soon.

Squarebrackets
Apprentice
My spouse and I are both having this problem (with 2 separate cameras). It only comes on when you either switch into movie mode or press the movie button, and stays on until you power down and turn it back on, when it decides there's no problem after all. Please fix this, Canon.

I called Canon and they said they need someone to send in a camera that has this issue to be able to know what's going on. They told me they have the sx280 there and theirs doesn't have the battery issue.

I took mine back and ordered another one in hopes that it will be okay. We'll find out. I do trust that Canon will find a solution but boy what a hassle!

Same exact story here. I am questioning the replacement rather than just returning it for a refund. I'm holding out hope. Perhaps this is a common problem with all high performance digital cameras? The fact Canon said they haven't heard of this is total BS. Be curious how your replacement turns out. Hmmm. Is poor battery life a deal breaker or not? So frustrating, especially when you intend to use it for video often. Please post your experience with your replacement!

Yes, I will post about my replacement however I won't receive it until next week.

Also I don't believe it's a short battery life issue. It's that the battery icon flashes AS IF it's low when shooting video, when it actually isn't low.

Turn the camera off and turn it back on and one can shoot dozens of photos. Switch to video, red flashing light, turn off and on and shoot another several dozen pictures.

@canonuser4 wrote:

Yes, I will post about my replacement however I won't receive it until next week.

Also I don't believe it's a short battery life issue. It's that the battery icon flashes AS IF it's low when shooting video, when it actually isn't low.

I am not  convinced it is solely the battery level sensor. I used the SX280 until, in auto mode, it displayed battery level with one of the diagonal bars missing. I changed to video mode (of course the battery level indicator started flashing red after the mode change) and started shooting a video. After about five seconds of video, I zoomed in to 5X. I got another second or two of video and the camera shut down with a warning to recharge battery. I conjecture that if there was still sufficient battery power, the video should have continued as it does in other scenarios. It just seems that shooting video and zooming the lens puts a very high demand on the battery. If it is not fully charged, the battery cannot handle these demands.

They do not need to have a camera sent in. Any employee with this camera can prove the point in 10 minutes of replicating the dozens of posts on thisissue

Announcements