cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

battery flashes red when taking movie? sx280

myasg
Enthusiast

in shooting mode on the sx280 it shows a full battery - when i go into movie mode the battery flasshes red - why is this - please assist.  [Mod note - removed email address (for your safety) - please see FORUM GUIDELINES].  canon sx280.  thanks.

34 REPLIES 34

rstephenson
Apprentice

The SX280 has just arrived in Australia. I have just returned my first camera because of the battery level indicator problem (Canon has a 14 day DOA policy in Aus) and found my second has exactly the same issue. I then found this forum. Canon Australia is unaware of any problem and told me to take the first back to the store because it was probably faulty. I'm hoping this can be firmware fixed. Like most who have found this problem I ran out and bought a spare battery. Unfortunately my 6 year old son's first school presentation can't be recorded again. The camera died after 3 seconds into it. The picture I should have then taken was the dirty look my wife threw me after I told her the battery went flat.

I've made a youtube video just in case anyone needs a reference when complaining. Hopefully the symptoms are common.

http://youtu.be/_yjS-mFPXhk

@rstephenson wrote:

The SX280 has just arrived in Australia. I have just returned my first camera because of the battery level indicator problem (Canon has a 14 day DOA policy in Aus) and found my second has exactly the same issue. I then found this forum. Canon Australia is unaware of any problem and told me to take the first back to the store because it was probably faulty. I'm hoping this can be firmware fixed. Like most who have found this problem I ran out and bought a spare battery. Unfortunately my 6 year old son's first school presentation can't be recorded again. The camera died after 3 seconds into it. The picture I should have then taken was the dirty look my wife threw me after I told her the battery went flat.

I've made a youtube video just in case anyone needs a reference when complaining. Hopefully the symptoms are common.

http://youtu.be/_yjS-mFPXhk

Thanks for the Youtube link, but when I sent a Youtube link to customer support in the US, I was informed that, because of security issues, they could not access Youtube links.

I contacted the vendor from whom I bought the camera and explained the issues I was having. I asked if I should request them to send another camera or just return the camera I have for a full refund. The vendor suggested I return the camera for a refund. Canon may be denying that a problem exists with the SX280, but this vendor is certainly not in denial. I am returning the camera with a prepaid shipping label for a refund. If Canon ever addresses the issue, great, but if they don't, I would rather not be stuck with a camera with severely limited video capabilities.

Jessica
Enthusiast

Hi everyone, thanks again for all of your valuable comments on this topic. We’ve confirmed premature display of low battery level while shooting in movie mode with the PowerShot SX280 HS. We are currently working towards a resolution and will provide an update shortly.

hi canon,

i'm considering to buy Powershot SX280 but i head about this problem with red battery flashes while taking movies.. is the problem already solved? if it is - when i'll buy the camera will i should download some upgrade to solve the problem or something?

thanks

Official Canon people rarely respond with definitive answers on the forum.  Go to

http://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/PowerShot/SX280-battery-life-shooting-video/m-p/24169/highlight/false...

to read 60+ forum pages on the SX280 battery issue.  If you're primarily taking still photo's and get the firmware upgrade you'll probably be satisfied.  If you want to shoot lengthy video's, most people still think the battery indicator issue is a sugnificasnt problem.

thanks dswansonil!
i dont think i'm going to shoot many videos.. i'm just looking for some really good camera for still photos (almost professional but small and light as it possible..). but anyway - i prefer my stuff the best and without bugs 🙂

Still no solution?

Yes there is a solution, they released a new model. This one is forgotten.

Cheers Brad - does it have the same software glitch as this is clearly what it is...? if not we can try and grab it's firmware.
Announcements