cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

after USB charge ELPH 100 HS wont turn on

dangerous
Apprentice

Can the Canon Powershot ELPH 100 HS be wall charged through the USB (USB A/Mini B) cable as some phones can? It was telling me to charge the battery. It didnt seem to be charging connected to the PC. I used a Motorola Droid USB wall charger and connected it to the camera with the USB A/Mini B cable. I briefly turned it on and saw the battery charge icon charging on the screen and turned it off. Several hours later, it wont turn on. Have I done the unthinkable and fried it??

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

cicopo
Elite

You likely drained the battery. Remove it from the camera & use the charger supplied with the camera. The USB port isn't a charging connector.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

View solution in original post

@cicopo wrote:

You likely drained the battery. Remove it from the camera & use the charger supplied with the camera. The USB port isn't a charging connector.

Apparently, thats what I did, drain the battery. I put that battery in the supplied charger, it charged and the camera is fine.

<whew> My GF wouldve kicked my butt if I cooked her camera.

I wonder why the camera wouId turn on and display the battery charging icon on the when I first connected it to the wall charger. No matter. Thanks

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

cicopo
Elite

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

You could try ensuring the battery contacts are clean and not tarnished, try wiping them with a lint free cloth.

I would have thought a discharged battery would have been able to recharged from ANY power source,  a usb dc source is usually 5 Volts dc being above the battery 'terminal voltage'.

Try another battery, batteeries do wear out especially rechargeable ones.

Dave

@cicopo wrote:

Apparently, thats what I did, drain the battery. I put that battery in the supplied charger, it charged and the camera is fine.

<whew> My GF wouldve kicked my butt if I cooked her camera.

I wonder why the camera wouId turn on and display the battery charging icon on the when I first connected it to the wall charger. No matter. Thanks

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements