cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

action/sports mode

dmshade3
Contributor

I am new to the Canon Power Shot camera.  I have an SX 530 HS.

At times, I want to take photos of people in action - sports, playing, etc.

What setting(s) on this camera should I use?

Thanks!

Mark

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@dmshade3 wrote:

I am new to the Canon Power Shot camera.  I have an SX 530 HS.

At times, I want to take photos of people in action - sports, playing, etc.

What setting(s) on this camera should I use?

Thanks!

Mark

Your camera should have an action/sports shooting mode.  Do you have a copy of the instruction manual?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks.  I do have a copy of the manual, even in PDF.  I have read and searched the manual.  It does not offer a sports/action setting.

@dmshade3 wrote:

Thanks.  I do have a copy of the manual, even in PDF.  I have read and searched the manual.  It does not offer a sports/action setting.

Hmm.  No preset for various shooting scenarios.  Look at page 69.  Use Ai Servo focus mode.  Use Continuous drive shooting mode, if it has it.

I'll look at that.

Part of the problem is that nothing there says "sports mode" or "action mode".  For those of us not experts in using cameras at a provesional level, "servo mode"  whatever doesn't mean much.

Thanks.

There is a servo af mode.  There is no "continuous drive" mode that I can find.

@dmshade3 wrote:

There is a servo af mode.  There is no "continuous drive" mode that I can find.

Oh, well.  Take one shot at a time.  No “motor drive.”  The Servo AF mode claims to be the AF mode for tracking moving subjects.

Thanks for confirming that.

🙂

Hi Dmshade3,

Thank you for taking the time to post.

For sports shots, I recommend using your camera's "Tv" (Time value (AKA Shutter-speed Priority) mode. This allows you to select a shutter speed that's fast enough to stop the action- or slow it down for a blurred effect- while the camera adjusts other settings, such as aperture.

With your camera set to the Tv mode, use the Front Dial, located just behind the shutter button to choose the shutter speed.

I do recommend using the Servo AF setting, too.

Finally, the continuous shooting setting is one of your camera's "Drive" modes. To access this setting, ensure that your camera is in the Tv mode and powered on, then press the FUNC SET button.

Now, scroll down, along the left-hand side, to the single rectangle, the press the right arrow, then use the up or down arrow to choose the continuous shooting mode, then press FUNC SET once again. There's a bit more on this on page 44 of your PowerShot SX530 HS Camera Guide.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you very much!  I really do appreciate that.

I look forward to trying it out soon.

Thanks again,

Mark

Announcements