cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a1400 P mode

skiziskin
Contributor

The manual says to press the up button until P mode appears. I only see two options when I do this: Auto and FaceSelf Timer. If I select Auto by pressing the center button, I get Self Focus, L and movie size. I tried L and got only the menu of shooting modes for picture size. One time I saw the icon for infinite focus that I need to use but it was not active because I was not in P mode so when I scrolled, it jumped right past it. I have not been able to find that again in several hours of pushing the buttons and getting no different result. No idea what I am doing wrong.

2 REPLIES 2

Mykolas
Authority

Hi skiziskin!

Thanks for posting.

Press UP until LIVE is selected, then press the FUNC/SET button and select P as the shooting mode.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Nope, that's what the manual says. But if you have this camera in your hands you will learn that the manual is wrong. I posted this in another thread after talking to someone at Canon.

OK, so I called Canon and the way to do this is not as it appears in the documentation. It is kind of like the instructions... to defuse the bomb, cut the red wire... [turn the page]... BUT not until after you cut the blue wire. Really poor documentation when there are two layers of navigation you have to do to get to it that are not referenced anywhere.

Actually, here are the steps as I remember them:

1. Press the up button

2. When FaceSelf Timer appears, select that by pressing the FUNC button (why this is under that menu is a complete mystery to me and the documentation does not say this anywhere).

3. NOW press the up button again until you see the P. You have to press it several times.

4. Press the FUNC button to select P.

5. Press the FUNC button again.

6. Press the up button again until you find the icon that looks like a mountain. 

7. Press the FUNC button to select the mountain.

8. Press the down button to select the other mountain that does not have a person on it (what is supposed to look like a person just looks like a mountain so I can tell they are different but I do not see a person--I'm old).

I tried the camera and it was still extremely slow to take a picture. So I was instructed to set continuous shooting mode with a similar progression of steps. Holding the button down to take continuous pictures, there is still a delay that grows longer the longer I hold the button down. So it really is no different from pressing the button. It's too bad because I need an optical viewfinder to be able to use a camera at all but I don't want to invest in a DSLR or carry something that bulky when I am skiing.

Announcements