cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 can't see G16 on wifi

stevation
Apprentice

I have a new computer with Windows 10. My Powershot G16 worked fine with Win 7 and my portable devices, but I can't get it to connect to Win 10. I installed Camera Window, I ran the wifi connection setup utility, which opened up some ports or services, and I can get the camera to say that it's connected to my computer on the network. But on the computer, opening Camera Window just gives me the error message "Cannot detect camera. Check connection to camera, then retry." 

I can also browse in File Explorer and see the camera listed as a connected network device, but when I double click on it, it tries to take me to a web page (using the camera's network ip address), and it fails, saying it can't display anything.

Is this camera simply incompatible with Windows 10?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Awesome, John. That was what I needed. I opened the wifi help PDF and realized there was a step I needed to do to install drivers for the camera. After doing that, it's working. Thank you for taking the time to point me in the right direction.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Do you have latest software?

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/point-and-shoot/advanced-c...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

stevation
Apprentice
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have the latest version, and it just doesn't work. On my iPad, I can bypass the WiFi network and use the camera as a direct access point, and I hoped to do that as an option here, but it doesn't even give that option with a computer connection. Anyway, the point is that nothing works so far.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/point-and-shoot/advanced-c...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Hi John,

That link just takes me to the download page for the G16. Is that what you meant? That is where I downloaded the software earlier, so I recognize it. But the copy of Camera Window available there hasn't been updated since 9/11/15, so I don't see anything new there to help me.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
One of the selections is wifi help. Not sure if it will address your issue. If not give the Canon support line a call.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Awesome, John. That was what I needed. I opened the wifi help PDF and realized there was a step I needed to do to install drivers for the camera. After doing that, it's working. Thank you for taking the time to point me in the right direction.

Glad to be of help. Enjoy.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Drivers would not install on my Windows 10 computer.   I still can't get camera to connect via WIFI

chupuk
Apprentice

Enough!!!!   I have been trying to connect my G16 now for 2 years and nothing new.  It simply does not work with Windows 10 and Canon keeps putting out the same guidelines as before that do not change anything.  Canon makes great cameras, but is NOT keeping up with the community and will end up just like Samsung if they do not get their act together.

FIX THIS PROBLEM.....NOW ... or I will simply put the G16 in the trash and buy a Sony or another brand that seems to give a hoot about what is going on around them.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements