cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I Am Unable to Click Amazing and Colorful Photos of Sunset?

TILERS_PERTH
Apprentice

Hello,

I am using Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III which is by far the best camera I ever knew. I am very happy with its performance and picture quality. I am the Manager of tilers Perth which is one of the best company.

But I have a small yet important query which really bugs me and especially in these days which I mentioned below.

As we know that our world is suffering from a pandemic virus and we all are lockdown in our locality and country but the best thing is that earth is healing itself and I think this is the best moment for clicking amazing images of sunrise and sunset or even nature.

But I am really into clicking an image of sunset which really the most refreshing and beautiful image in my
opinion.

The thing which bugs me is that my Canon camera is not clicking the best possible image that I want to see and
feel.

Whenever I click a sunset image then after checking that image I feel very disappointed because the colors are not that great or in simple words, they are not as bright as I think they should be.

My friends also click photos of sunset but there is something in their quality that is very hard to define but they are colorful and have proper brightness.

I know that my camera has the potential to capture the best sunset pictures so I am here to clear all my doubts.

Please reply to me as soon as possible.

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Can you post a photo that you don't think shows what you want?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

There are two main things going on.

First, Are you using automatic mode?   Cameras, even high-end ones, will not be able to make all the proper decisions when in automatic mode.   Look at other modes such as P (Program), Av (Aperture Priority).  You may also need to provide exposure compensation.

Second, cameras cannot truly capture what the human eye sees.  One limitation of cameras is their dynamic range.  Higher-end cameras will perform better here.   You can also look at capturing multiple exposures and merging together in post to increase the apparent dynamic range.   Some cameras have built-in HDR (high dynamic range) features that you can experiment with as well.

There may be other aspects that others will weigh in on, but the above two is what first came to my mind.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

As rs-eos says, you need to lower the exposure compensation by 1 - 2 stops.

In the auto mode, you do have a "sunset scene" mode, but I have no idea how to make sure it turns on:

Untitled.jpg

Announcements