cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Canon discontinue the 330HS?

PineyPhotosLI
Apprentice

I have the Canon 330HS and I have to say it is one amazing little camera. It's the first camera I've used since the days of the A620 & A720IS that produces crisp, sharp images in the full frame, and it's performance at higher ISO's continues to impress me. But I was dismayed to see Canon has discontinued the 330 (just like those great older cams) and offerred a replacement that is inferior.

I registered here to "sound off" on why Canon went in this direction. I recently read some reviews of the new 340HS that replaced it as well as used it in stores, and the image quality is a huge step down from the 330. Going from 12mp to 16mp has surely added more noise, and the base ISO starts at 100 instead of a cleaner 80. Also, unlike the 330, the 340 cannot shoot slow motion video (120fps/240fps). The lens is much slower, and not as sharp. And instead of the stereo mics on the 330, the 340 has a mono one of lower quality. And lastly it has a smaller battery.

I understand the need to "upgrade" offerings, but this is a downgrade. Surely you could've made the 330's successor better by adding a touch focus and using the newer Digic 6 processor (instead of going backwards by using a 4+). 

I've been a Canon Powershot user for many years, and have seen the offerings for the lower end models shrink, but not everybody can afford or want an S120 (the S120 doesn't have the zoom that the 330 does), and the sx280 & sx700 aren't as pocketable. It's a shame we have less choices now. I'm just glad I got my 330HS when it was on sale for $129.99, now most places are out of stock and the ones that do are charging north of $200. It's obvious the 330HS was a good seller, so why did you have to ruin a good thing Canon?

0 REPLIES 0
Announcements