cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which one is the best memory card for Canon Power shot SX60HS ?

Metal
Contributor

Experts I want to know which one is the best memory Card suggestion for my Canon Powershot SX 60HS ?

• 1. Maximum Gigs the camera supports, for example will it support 128 GB or just max 64 GB ?
  • 2. Maximum speed of SDXC card the camera supports, like 80MB/s or it supports way up 90MB/s or any high speed card like  new Sandisk  280mb/s?

can any real user of Powershot SX 60HS share their own experiene with BRAND of memory card they using ? Like a compare with Sandisk, SAMSUNG, PNY, Lexar, A-Data, Kingstone etc. Which brand is most trustable for maximum durability, reliability and performace. Pls. help me to clear the marketing issues brand uses to sell their high end cards. I just want best matching card for my camera. Thanks in advance. 

Spoiler

4 REPLIES 4

Skirball
Authority

I don't know anything about the camera, but a quick Google search says that it takes SD/SDHC/SDXC, which means it can take any size, any speed SD card.  Verify in you user manual.

Speed:  It isn't going to matter that much, unless you frequently shoot in burst mode using RAW photo format.  I don't even know how fast the burst (in RAW) is for that camera, but I saw it does 6.7 fps, which when using RAW would need a faster card.  But do you plan on even doing a lot of burst shooting?  I would guess that your camera cannot re-focus inbetween every shot at that speed - but I'm just guessing.

Brand:  I use Sandisk and Lexar brand cards - whichever is on sale.  Even though other brands most likely function as well, I don't take the risk and a spend a few more dollar on the top name brands.  I use faster cards now (that I'm shooting full frame - bigger photos), but back on my Rebel I used everything from the Sandisk Ultra to the Extremes.  I didn't see any noticeable difference in performance.  Any UHS-1 card is going to be sufficient.  Unless there's a sale on one of the faster cards, just get 30 Mb/s card like the Sandisk Ultra.

Size: I found 32 gigs to be a good size for me, but everyone has their preference.  Some prefer one giant card so they never fill it up.  Others want a bunch of small cards so they're not 'putting all their eggs in one basket'.

picker.png

If I Use Sandisk Memory Card Picker for my camera site suggesting it only supports 80MB/s at high/max not 95MB/s. One amature question do speed of card only contributes to continues shot but not any improvement in raw format picture quality pls.?

Heh, yeah, that's a card manufacturer recommending which card you should use.  I wouldn't put much weight in it.

First off, the speed has absolutely no impact on image quality.  It doesn't impact anything but the speed at which your camera writes image to it, and the speed at which your computer reads it from it.

Any card you look at will be quick enough to shoot video.  So don't worry about that. 

As to stills, here's a basic look at what happens.  When you shoot a bunch of photos real quick your camera stores them in a buffer allowing it to shoot more photos.  Simultaneously your camera is writing files from the buffer to the SD card.  If the buffer fills up the camera stops shooting until enough room is made for another shot.  At this point the speed of continuous shoot will depend on how fast your camera is writing to the card.

If you shoot jpg this most likely won't be any problem.  Most cameras can rattle off a lot (20 - 30+) of jpgs before the buffer gets full.  Some are fast enough it never fills the buffer.  If you shoot RAW the files are much bigger and you stand more of a chance of filling the buffer.

But still you have to ask, how often are you shooting 10+ photos continuously.  Even then the difference in capture rate once you hit the buffer limit isn't going to be much different based on your card - from a practical standpoint.  If you camera is capturing 2.6 frames per second instead of 2.8, are you going to notice?

I agree with whats been said about memory cards.

I have a 128 gb card that I have not tried in my SX50HS I bought it for my Surface 3.

I will try it later and see if it works...my guess is yes

I know 64 gb cards work I use them

Announcements