cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Point and shoot is best for taking pictures of kids?

jward1352
Apprentice

I have two kids under the age of 4 and I am in need of a new digital camera. I need a point and shoot that takes a fast picture. My current camera takes a long time and I often miss that perfect picture.

Thanks You

2 REPLIES 2

cicopo
Elite

One of the Rebel series with the kit lens. Why? Because they are far better suited to what you want to capture & can be used as a P&S. They have much faster AF systems, far less shutter lag & produce a better image. They also can do many things a P&S in the same price range cant so don't shop just by the mpixel rating. Use P mode to start with along with setting the AF system to AI Servo & learn to track the action with the shutter half pressed. Then learn how to do Exposure compensation & Flash Exposure Compensation by instinct based on how the first shot looked on the LCD. Once you're comfortable with using it that way & when it's "fun" time play with Av & Tv a bit & really get into mastering your camera.

(That advice is based on having to teach both my daughter & stepdaughter how to capture their kids in action and both have done a great job thanks to AF.).

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Skirball
Authority

Point and shoots are getting faster, but they still can’t come close to match an SLR when it comes to speed.  Shutter lag and burst shooting are both getting a lot better on the P&S, but without a mirror you’re stuck using the sensor and contrast to determine focus.  SLRs have dedicated sensors for this and it allows them to track moving subjects and achieve faster focus.  I know you asked about P&S, but I just thought I’d put this out there since SLRs are getting so cheap.  P&S are great, and there are many areas where they can match an SLR, but this isn’t one of them.

I don’t know the latest P&S offerings, but I find the specs in the latest models to be pretty close to the same.  I’m actually a big fan of Canon P&S, I think they’re a bigger leader there than they are in the SLR field.  I love my S95… but again, if I’m shooting something moving I’m grabbing my SLR.

Announcements