cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the best additional lens for a cannon power shot sx50 hs??? Opinions? Favorite accessory??

RJ8008
Apprentice

8 REPLIES 8

Skirball
Authority

The sx50 is not an SLR, you cannot change lenses.  The best lens is the one it comes with.

The SX50 HS has a lens with an equivalent 24-1200mm field of view. You really don't need to add anything.

Some people add a filter mount adapter to these cameras and then make it possible to add a 67mm filer or an additional screw on lens to the front. 

These lenses are rather poor optically and you would probably be disappointing with the results.  

If you still really want to go wider, I would get an add-on lens with a 67mm filter thread as I have read reports that you will get vignetting if you use the more common 58mm size. It is probably very specific to the design of the add-on lens so your experience may vary.  Sorry, I don't know which one is the best.

Mike Sowsun

I bought that polarizing filter made by Canon. It's adjustable and really does make a difference. I also have the UV flter. I agree with what's been said about the adding of converters etc. too.

smack53
Mentor

I would definitely steer clear of adding any additional lenses for wide angle or telephoto. In addition to losing about a half a stop or more of light, the image quality suffers tremendously. The camera has a very difficult time with focusing through the additional glass, so I already stopped using my teleconverter lenses. About the only thing I might consider are a couple of filters, one being a CPL (circular polarizing Filter) and another would be ND (Neutral Density) filters. I really doubt that you even need those unless you are looking for specific effects.

RJ8008
Apprentice
Thank you everyone for your input! I appreciate the responses

A macro can be useful. Buy one or make one.

Veteran I have the 250 and 500D close up lenses from my older canons Ive yet to try and i just got the adapter for them..any thoughts on that?

They should be very effective. Double element lenses, Canon quality. 

Announcements