cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is a comparable upgrade for the Canon Powershot SD890 IS digital elph?

shandralebru
Apprentice

For being a less expensive point and shoot camera I have LOVED my Canon Powershot SD890 IS digital elph. I have a 12 month old baby and this camera has never let me down indoors, outdoors or when he and Daddy are on the move. It also takes great landscape, sunset, moonlit night, macro zoom, portraits, etc photos. I am impressed by it's versatility, options and the quality, especially, of the indoor and other low light shots. I also like the crisp quality of each shot and the vivid, natural colors (not flat of bland). Sadly...it recently broke and I have been looking for a replacement in the lower cost range. it's been horrible. I have bought 2 newer Powershots and they both take horrible, grainy, blurry, pixilated indoor shots. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to stick with a point and shoot for now (somewhere below $200.00 preferably, but even larger purchase suggestions are also welcome as I plan to buy a more expensive setup later in the year. Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

smack53
Mentor

You didn't mention what cameras you tried and were dissapointed with, but since you mention that you may go with a better setup later this year, you can buy a used SD890 IS at http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-Digital-Point-and-Shoots/1/sku-DC059991017580?r=FE. If that link doesn't work, then try http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-Digital/system-Canon-Digital/category-Point-and-Shoots?s=1&bcode=DC... for the main website. As far as the new Canon PowerShot ELPH cameras, I think the ELPH 330  HS might be the new equivalent of your camera with a few upgrades, such as a longer zoom range. All the new ELPH cameras lack the optical viewfinders, but some now include wifi.

The S110 is an excellent compact camera but is replaced by the S120. But since it is the 'older" model, the price is about $150.00 less. Small and lightweight, it has a larger sensor than the ELPH cameras and full manual control for getting more out of the camera. It lists for about $300.00, but you should be able to find them for less on the internet.

dbulleit
Apprentice

TRy a s110 or s120. I have a s95 now for several years and it has NEVER let me down. I can count on 1 hand the number of bad pictures it has taken in several years and these new models are supposed to be better. I am looking at the s120 or maybe even the s130 should it be coming soon. The s95 I have still works fine, just wondering if I would gain enough in a new model. You might even consider a s95 on ebay. I have taken more pictures with it than any camera i have owned, way more than a dslr. You might also consider the sony rx100 series, ii or iii for better low light, but you can't go wrong either way.

Announcements