cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What camera settings should I use if I need to make posters from my photos?

Shesse
Apprentice

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Poster implies large enlargement.

Need a very sharp image, noise-free image for best results.

I would shoot RAW, on a tripod, as low an ISO as possible, and small enough f stop for good depth of field, depending on your subject.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

smack53
Mentor

Make sure you also have the highest resolution for the images. This will reduce the amount of photos you can store on the SD card, but it will make a huge difference in the quality of the poster. This is the one time when the pixel count really matters. The more megapixels, the better.

Steve M.

Shesse
Apprentice
Thank you both. I can't find RAW setting on my camera so far. (Canon SX 50 HS) My project is to photograph Waterpolo players while they are shooting, so I'll need to use the sports setting. And then have posters created from the shots. I'll use a tripod. But still seeing if my resolution and ISO settings will work with the continuous shots settings. Thank you again.

Shesse
Apprentice
Ok I figured out the RAW. Feeling silly. I don't often dig into my menus and setting. Thanks for your help.

Are you comfortable shooting RAW? If not, Large/Fine JPEG would be the next best thing for maximum file size.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Shesse
Apprentice
I'm going to play with it this weekend. I don't have a photoshop program unfortunately, but for my project I will ultimately give my photos to a company for them to do the posters. I just want to be able to to increase my chances of creating awesome shots and posters for the kids. They will be hung up at the school and I'm certainly not a pro. 🙂 I will stick with the JPEG if necessary. The continuos photos seem to come off faster I think with the JPEG. Which will be important to get their action shot. (what did I get myself into)
Announcements