cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waterproof Case For PowerShot

OctoberFirefly
Apprentice

I'm planning on purchasing a Canon PowerShot SX280 HS soon to use on my outdoor trips. I was looking for a waterproof case for it on Canon's site, but couldn't find one. This camera isn't listed as one that doesn't have a waterproof case of some kind, so that sort of confuses me. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something. If anyone can help me, that would be awesome!

3 REPLIES 3

cicopo
Elite

I checked the list of accessories currently listed as available (on the B & H web site) & there wasn't a waterproof housing listed. Being a new model it's hard to say whether one may be available later but for now it looks like they aren't marketing one which may be due to design limits with the big zoom range. As a diver I learned a long time ago that they don't make cases for many of the cameras & it's quite likely that it's due to a combination of whether or not the needed controls can be operated while housed plus it's ability to work well underwater. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Skirball
Authority

Are you looking for a waterproof storage case, or something to shoot underwater?  If the former, I've had good luck with my Pelican iPod case.  FIts my point and shoots fine, strong and waterproof.

For the latter: Good underwater cases aren't cheap.  If you haven't bought the camera yet and intend on using it under/around water, why not buy a waterproof point and shoot.  I think there's several on the market now.  I have a friend who had an Olympus and it was great, and really around the same price range as a P&S.  You're not going to take it on a deep dive, but you're not going to get any shots below a few feet without external lighting, and that's a whole 'nother league.

Roy
Apprentice

This camera is practically identical to the sx260 except for the upgraded processor. Look for the sx260 waterproof case, it has one.

Edit: I looked at the sx280 specifications in the canon website and it does have waterproof cases listed:

Waterproof Case (40m) WP-DC49
Waterproof Case Weight WW-DC1

Announcements