Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

Using "nightscape" setting on g16

I was taking some night pics this weekend and was using the "Nightscape" setting to get some photos out the stars and milky way,

When i got back home and uploaded the pics, they were all somewhat fuzzy and grainy. the camera was on a tripod and steady. The "star emphasis" was on.  The rest of my pics from the trip were fine so it is not the lens.

Did i miss something? i read the manual and set it up as directed.

Can anyone help me get better pictures of the stars with my G16?

Valued Contributor

Re: Using "nightscape" setting on g16

Did you use a time delay at all? I usually use at least a 2 second delay to make sure there is no shake even when mounted on a tripod.

Steve M.

New Contributor

yes, i used a 6 sec delay. so it is not from tripod sway.

New Contributor

I've done a lot of these nighscape pictures lately.  I've found that with the G16, just becuse of the low megapixels compared to the big cameras, will look a little fuzzy but if you take them into Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom you can sharpen the image up and bring out a lot more stars.  They will look good on smaller media devices like iPhones and iPads.  Also if the moon is out at all, i've found that the pictures are a little blurry, although it will still work and look great.