cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UV filter for sx500 is....What size

harleynut97
Apprentice

I would like to purchase a uv filter for the canon powershot sx500is to protect the lens.  Can someone confirm what size I need..  I don't mind getting a step up or down ring if needed

Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6

Skirball
Authority

The sx500 doesn't have filter threads, those are just rings for the lens cap.  They make adapters, but you're just wedging it into those circles, it's not what it's made for.  See the comments on this:

http://www.amazon.com/Lens-Filter-Adapter-Canon-SX500/dp/B00A9HJ50U

Thanks for replying back so quick Skirball...  I can't understand why any manufacture would not provide a correct way of adding a simple UV filter for protection of the lens.  I know this isn't a pro grade camera by any means,  but you would think they would want to have a shot at selling some additional accessories if nothing else.

@harleynut97 wrote:

Thanks for replying back so quick Skirball...  I can't understand why any manufacture would not provide a correct way of adding a simple UV filter for protection of the lens.  I know this isn't a pro grade camera by any means,  but you would think they would want to have a shot at selling some additional accessories if nothing else.

Agreed.  I see no reason whatsoever why any camera with standard size lenses, even when they're non-detachable, would not put in filter threads.  It costs nothing for them and provides versatility for the user.  Even if it caused some vignetting at wide angle, so what, let the user choose if s/he wants to use one.  I'm not a huge fan of UV filters, but I do like polarizers.

Maybe it's a safety feature in the first place. It's very possible the lens can't take having something screwed on or off tightly without suffering internal damage.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I think your comments on the SX500 filter ring capability are right on. 

About 3 months after I purchased my SX500 that front ring came off while I was shooting with a large group. Didn't notice until I tried to snap the lens cap back on.

Canon promptly replaced the camera after I sent it in for service but it is now out of warranty. 

I have a 52mm filter ring - 58mm adapter for the Canon 50mm f1.8 lens used on my T3i. 

The lens on my SX500 is much smaller than 52mm. I'd guess 49mm or so. 

Again, I appreciate your comments. I'm afraid some folks are asking for trouble unless Canon now makes a larger lens for this camera.

hsbn
Whiz
I would not recommend you going through all the trouble to put a UV filter on your lens. It's not worth it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide
Announcements