cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to shoot RAW with my new SX50

murryg
Contributor

It seems that the AF Frame and Digital Zoom selections gray out when I select RAW or RAW+JPG.  Is it not possible to use face detect and/or digital tele-converter when shooting in RAW?

8 REPLIES 8

cicopo
Elite

Probably not. See my answer here for a better understanding or RAW.

http://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Using-RAW-format/td-p/6927

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks for your reply!  I understand RAW since I've been shooting Canon DSLRs for over ten years.  The thing I don't understand is why I can't choose how I want to focus or extend the focal length with the SX50 while shooting RAW files.  Those two settings, AF Frame and Digital Zoom,  don't seem (to me anyway) to have any connection to the processing of the RAW or JPG files but more about focusing light onto the sensor??  Any other thoughts?

Murry

Digital zoom is no different than enlarging on screen later so I really can't see how it could be used in RAW. The sensor stores one value per pixel (photosite) & that's it. You shouldn't be able to manipulate that value by trying to enlarge it in camera or the entire idea of RAW has been defeated. .. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

You are right and that makes sense for the digital zoom!  How about the AF Frame?  Does the same logic apply to focusing?  I know I can choose evaluative and spot metering but I guess I can't choose face detect for focusing while shooting RAW?  I really appreciate your time and answers.  I never thought these bridge cameras would be so tough to learn :0)

Murry

I'm just guessing on this but I suspect you give that feature up because the data isn't being analyzed to create a jpg. I would think that's when the software detects certain features & decides they / it is a face. Because I haven't owned any cameras with face detect I can't do some testing so hopefully someone else has the proper answer.

Thank you for your help!!

Murry

You're welcome & I hope you get it all sorted out.

you not use RAW images in the AUTO mode on the SX50?

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements