cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble connecting G5X to computer

ant
Apprentice

Hello. I cannot connect my PowerShot G5X to my Windows 10 laptop. For some reason known surely only to Canon engineers, plugging the camera into a USB port does not bring it up as an external drive. I literally cannot just port photos over to my computer via a USB cable. For this reason, I have to use the WiFi option, which does not work. I have tried connecting via my existing Wifi network, I have tried the WSP method, as per the instruction manual - the latter bricked my modem and required me to set it up once more. Please could someone explain to me how I can download photos from my newly purchased camera? 

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

ant
Apprentice

To clarify, I have installed all necessary software, and run the Wifi connection setup in Canon Utilities. I managed to pick up a computer on the camera screen a couple of times but each time I tried to connect to it, it would say "Disconnected" after a couple of seconds. 

To clarify even further, I have managed to get the camera to recognise that the computer exists, but it would not stay connected long enough to install the necessary drivers/software/god who knows. Now when I try connect it, it searches for devices on the network - I have to reset my laptop's connection to the Wifi to get it to show up - then select the computer's name on the camera, after which the screen goes blank and it returns to image playback. No dice. Is there a problem with my camera? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. 

I believe there is a menu setting in the camera that specifies either a USB or a wireless connection..  The camera cannot switch back and forth on its' own.

Have you tried to contact Canon U.S. Support?  1-800-OK-CANON

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Ant,

Thank you for posting.

Just to clarify, after you connect your camera to your computer, you'll want to turn it on in the Playback mode. This is the computer connection mode for PowerShot cameras.

With the camera connected to your computer, via USB and turned on in the playback mode:

1. What do you see on your camera's display?
  2. Does your computer respond (i.e. with windows, beeps, etc)?
Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements