cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The LCD screen on my SD 400 lights up but only displays a blank white screen that can't be changed.

manhattanman
Apprentice

Is it a bad memory card? How can it be fixed?

4 REPLIES 4

smack53
Mentor

This is not likely to be a bad memory card. Is this happening when you try to shoot photos, or while reviewing photos, or both? If this is only while shooting photos, you might be in a manual mode with a setting for extreme overexposure. I would check that if you can and set it to Auto to see if that clears it up. I realize that you might not be able to do that though if you can't see the setttings on the screen. If you can see the menu items on the screen, then try to do a reset to see if that helps.

If this is happening when you review photos, then there could be an issue with the photos on the memory card, or the memory card itself may be the problem. If you have a spare memory card, you could swap it out to see if that corrects the issue.

Try removing the battery and leave it out for a few minutes (about a half hour), then reinsert the battery and hold the power button for a few seconds when repowering the camera. It may reset the camera, or at least clear the camera buffer. If no success, then the screen may have gone bad, or a connection came loose. This would require opening the camera, and may be a bit tricky. Cost to repair this camera would very likely be more than the camera is worth, so unless you want to attempt opening it to see what could be wrong, it may be time for a new camera.

Steve M.

You could determine if it's the sensor or display easily.

Take a snap shot, obviously you won't be able to focus it properly then download it to a computer if you can see the image this would point towards the display or the processor..... if you can't see a display this would indicate a processor or sensor problem.

Another trick is to insert a card with known good photos and see if the display works.

Displays can create a 'no image' symptom should the ribbon cable become faulty or tarnished, sometimes you get needle wide lines down the picture as well.

Dave

Thanks for your replys, guys. Unfortunately, they may have come too late. I took it in to a repair shop on Tuesday, and they said the LCD screen needed replacement. Apparently, from what I've read, this s a common problem with this model. It will cost $60.00. I only paid $7.00 for the camera. I should get a few years out of it. I don't use a camera often, but when I need it...I need it.

The camera repair shop called Friday and said that they were wrong in their assessment of the problem. They weren't specific about what the problem was, but said they installed a used part, and the camera worked fine. They lowered the repair price to $32.00 from $60.00. Originally, they said it needed a new LCD screen.

I'm guessing I could have done the repair myself, and that they didn't really replace any parts but merely opened, cleaned and adjusted something in the camera. At least they were honest enough not to replace a part that didn't need replacing.

What might the problem really have been, and can I fix it in the future if it happens again? I'm mechanically inclinded, so don't have a problem getting into the camera.

Announcements