jesteer
Contributor

getting cr2 files when using sports mode is the first step and a big one

any ideas?

thanks

8 REPLIES 8

Skirball
Authority

Maybe someone with the camera can speak up, but from what I saw poking my nose around it won't let you shoot in RAW in sports mode.  I'd assume this is to keep the burst rate high. 

that's what i don't understand, the camera first of all, records the raw data, and only after that, does it figure out what the jpg data should be. i would expect it would be quicker to just save the raw ??
thanks for you comment
i'm hoping that the CKDH version for this camera will soon come out and i believe/hope that it will enable getting the raw when using sports mode

I'm not 100% certain on the technical background, so I'd love for someone to speak up if they know what's truly going on inside, but here's my take on it:

I don’t think it really ‘records the raw data’, more that it takes the raw data off the sensor and quickly processes it down to 8-bit JPGs based on the setting; the resultant file is much smaller than a RAW.  I believe the buffer, and the bottleneck, is writing these files to disk, hence the bigger RAW files are slower.

I know what you’re saying, isn’t processing the RAW data to a jpg taking more time than writing to disk, but apparently not.  All SLRs that I’ve ever seen have a much smaller burst capture size (# of photos) when shooting in RAW than jpg.  I would guess that companies drop some cash on a fast bus to increase the amount of shots that can be captured in a burst, but on the flip side, it’s something that they’ll cut out to save a few bucks on lower end camera.

thanks Skirball, i appreciate your advice and experience ... guess i'll have to live with it until i get rich and can afford a "real camera"

No problem.  Honestly, coming from someone who has been shooting dSLR for 8 years now, I'm kind of jealous of the SX50hs.  It looks like a cool little camera.  I wouldn't discount it and call an SLR a "real camera". Point and shoots and hybrids have made leaps and bounds over the past several years, while SLR technology slowly inches forward.  The gap has narrowed quite a bit, enough to the point where the question is starting to come back "do I really need an SLR?"

Unless you're ready to drop $10,000+ and get the best available with top notch lenses, you will always make compromises in cameras, even SLRs.  Just look at all the bickering on here between Rebels and 7D and 5D3; over which has what feature.  It never stops. 

Your camera has a lot of impressive features/specs, learn to use those to your advantage in your photography. Recognizing what the  limitations of your camera, and using your skill as a photographer work around it, is a learning and rewarding experience;  it's part of the fun for me as a growing photographer.  There's a lot of people out there with SLRs that will tell you your camera can't do this or that...  go prove them wrong.  And have fun.

thanks again, it looks like the "limit" for sports to get close details of birds or whatever, it about 20 to 30 paces and that it would have to be rather bright sunlight .... sparrows at the feeder about 10 paces it very good, but not a much detail as program mode (single shots)
i misled myself with the scene of alkatraz (sp?) a couple miles off
thanks again

jesteer
Contributor

Why not use sports mode?

Edit:  combined with your other question, I'd assume you want to shoot raw.  If that's the case why not shoot a semi-auto like Av.  Set your Aperture to wide-ish, and your ISO to allow a fast shutter speed.  Turn on auto-focus servo on.  Click away.

Announcements