cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sun photos leaves bright splotches-dots

danleonard1953
Contributor

Unless sun near sunset or at sunrise, What setting(s) can be used on a Powershot SX160IS to help take away bright splotches-dots that appears near the sun on photos? (The lens is built in). Thank you 🙂

7 REPLIES 7

Grazie
Rising Star

Maybe Lens Flare?

Grazie

Thank you for your reply 🙂 perhaps it could be a lens flare but it is consistant with the sun being anywhere other than at sunrise or at sunset, if the sun is anywhere higher in sky then I get these blotchy spots, when at sunset or sunrise "perfect".

O... K..... do you get these splotches on overcast days or indoors?

G

The SX150/SX160 series of cameras get dust inside the lens very easily, so I'm thinking you may have a dust spot on the lens that reflects the sunlight.

Thank you for your reply :), from what I am finding the lens is clean, the situation happens only when I'm outside and the sun is more than 10 degrees above the horizon thus my thinking is my living here in the south USA where the sun is larger-more intense and with an auto-retractible lens with no filter to erase the bright spots I must snap photos away from direct sunlight unless at sunrise or sunset when the brightness is less, then the captures are beautiful.

Thank you for your reply :), Only when I'm outside & the sun is more than 10 degrees above the horizon. (the lens area is also clean), my thinking is the sun is more large-intense here in the south USA so the bright splotches are the results of that energy emitted thus the camera captures it unless some sunglasses type lens filters may be available for auto-retractible lens on these type cameras, not sure. 

hsbn
Whiz

You will have lens flare if direct light hitting the front of the lens. So avoid the sunlight hitting your lens directly. One method is using your hand to shade the front of your lens.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide
Announcements