cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaked images on G12

Kalnos
Apprentice

The monitor shows a very streaked, barely recognizable image in a purple shade.  The recorded image is the same.

This previously happened during the first year I had the camera.  Canon repaired it under warranty. 

Is there anything I can do to fix the problem, such as download software?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

smack53
Mentor

Doesn't sound like a software issue. Since both monitor and photos are streaked, it could be the sensor or processor malfunctioning. Is this happening under extreme bright light situations or all the time?

Try resetting the camera by going to the tools menu and select reset all to see if this helps at all. You may need servicing though. I have this camera too and I understand how you must be feeling as this is my go to camera for everything, and I'd be lost without it!

Steve M.

Thanks for the suggestion Steve.  The malfunction happens in normal light.  Unfortunatley resetting the camera did not change the streaked image.

As you wrote, the problem is likely with the sensor, requiring me to ship the camera to Canon for repairs, a week before I go on an extended vacation.

While I was hoping the G12 would be a "professional's" work horse, the second image failure as well as dust on the detector has reduced my enthusiasm, especially for fixed lens cameras.

How photography has changed!  My Canon 20D uses CF cards.  Only high capacity, high speed, expensive cards are available at local stores.  I had to have more standard cards shipped.

One thing I did with my G12 was to buy the filter adapter and keep a UV filter on it to keep dust and dirt off the lens barrel. So far it seems to have helped. I have only a little over 10500 photos on this camera, but it has been my best camera to date. Hope things work out for you on that G12.

Yes, photography sure has changed over the last few years. There are so few camera stores out there and it seems that I need to get everything over the internet lately. CF cards are hard to come by as SD cards are taking over. Hopefully you have everything you need for that vacation.

Steve M.

I returned after a vacation with a DSLR and no compact camera (Olympus TG2 being repaired; G12 with streaked detector) to find that my G12 was once again operating normally!

I'm glad I didn't trash the G12, or send it away for a 2nd service for the problem.

I have decided that its time to upgrade from my 20D.  I'm tiring of error 99 at crucial moments, and it's getting difficult to purchase CF cards.  The 70D is light and relatively compact like the 20 with improvements over the 20D, photos of adequate quality and doesn't have the big ticket exposure to electronic failure.  Unfortunately the zoom goes from 18, rather than 17. However, I'd like to have a lens that opens up to use depth of field more creatively, more than a 3.5.  The f1.8 50 mm might serve the purpose cost and weight effectively, although with a constrained focal length.

Cheers,

Peter

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements