cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Size of pictures when downloading pictures to computer

spetho2001
Enthusiast

I have a Canon PowerShot A1400 camera which I love. My computer has Windows 7 with IE 11. When I transfer the pictures to my computer they transfer in the size that was taken with the camera and i usually have to make the size smaller (1024) to be able to use them (post them to sites or email). Is there a way to download them in that size (1024) so that I don't have to change the size by resizing.

Thank you,

TomS 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

smack53
Mentor

You can resize the photos in the camera, but only one at a time. There are some softwares available to group change the file sizes on your computer once they are downloaded. Windows Live Photo Gallery is one, and its free from the microsoft web site. You can even do some editing of the photos as well as for color saturation, brightness, color temperature, sharpness, clipping, and even straighten out a crooked picture. The really nice part is that you can keep the original files for later use.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

cicopo
Elite

It's unlikely that you can do it in camera & more importantly you shouldn't do it to the original file. You should do your editing & then downsize as needed using your computer. If you don't have a software package that does this quickly & easily & are using a PC I highly recommend you try out Picasa, which is free & very versatile for this kind of thing.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

scicopo,

I do it that way but it takes a lot of time if I have to do a bunch of pictures to post to Trip Advisor or email to someone. Then I have to save the resize so that i know have to different size pictures saved. just looking for an easier way. Maybe there is none?

Thank you,

TomS

I do thousands of photos every summer using Picasa to downsize & then upload. To speed things up (depending on just how you do it) I select the photos I'll edit from my day's shooting, export them to a new album, then switch to that album & do the edits. Once they are edited I export to a new album at the size & resolution I want and title it then add LR or UL to the title so I know it's the low res versions. I then upload the full low res album to my album pages including one which is specifically for Tripadviser use.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

smack53
Mentor

You can resize the photos in the camera, but only one at a time. There are some softwares available to group change the file sizes on your computer once they are downloaded. Windows Live Photo Gallery is one, and its free from the microsoft web site. You can even do some editing of the photos as well as for color saturation, brightness, color temperature, sharpness, clipping, and even straighten out a crooked picture. The really nice part is that you can keep the original files for later use.

Thank you!

Announcements