cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settings for true colours

Gonzoid
Contributor

I have a power shot sx50hs I want to capture the true colours of red sunsets, what settings should I use. My pictures never seem to show the colours that I see. Thanks in advance of any replies that I may receive.

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Gonzoid wrote:

I have a power shot sx50hs I want to capture the true colours of red sunsets, what settings should I use. My pictures never seem to show the colours that I see. Thanks in advance of any replies that I may receive.

Normally, one would use a grey card prior to a shoot, and then use then grey card to create a custom WB setting in post.  But, a sunset, or a sunrise, could complicate matters because the nature of the light is constantly changing, which could require that you take more grey card samples if you want it exactly exact.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Even a grey card can't guarantee seeing what your eye saw. Your display also needs to be able to show the full spectrum of colours but very few do. It needs to be calibrated too. What do you view your photos on?

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Gonzoid
Contributor
I just usually view them via google photos or through my pc monitor

Auto white balance will neutralize the beautiful warm sunset colors. Set the white balance to "daylight" and the orange tone will be seen. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Gonzoid
Contributor
Scotty p this sounds like a plan
Can you give this silly old woman step by step instructions?
I have found the awe settings via the M mode but how do I set to daylight?
I am using a XS50 HD

@Gonzoid wrote:
Scotty p this sounds like a plan
Can you give this silly old woman step by step instructions?
I have found the awe settings via the M mode but how do I set to daylight?
I am using a XS50 HD

It is normally done in "post processing", after you have downloaded RAW files to a computer.  You cannot make fine adjustments to a JPEG file, but you can set an "AUTO" setting, which is relies upon the initial setting in your camera.  An adjustment to a RAW file, is independent of whatever setting you have in the camera.  Think of it as a digital darkroom.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Next time you go shooting at sunset take the camera's white balance off AWB (auto white balance) and set it for daylight white balance.  In AWB mode the camera corrects for any strong color casts.  That is great if you are in a fluorescent lighted room because it keeps your photo from looking blue or green. It is not good if the color cast is desirable like your warm sunset light. By telling the camera to treat the image like the light is daylight color when actually it has that sunset warm tone the camera will register that orange glow instead of neutralizing it in auto white balance. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thanks so much for the advice,it’s really great to have forums like these

Announcements