cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settings for Backlit scene on Power Shot

Need2know
Contributor

I have Power Shot S80. Took this picture in daytime The room was not dark.  Need to know what the camera setting should have been for a scene like this.

IMG_5750.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Need2know wrote:

What about shooting mode, ISO settings, flash on or off with ISO settings???

As we have said, your camera cannot capture this image because it cannot capture the range from the bright outside to the dim inside. Any change to settings can only move the captured brightness range, not increase it.

The only way is to take multiple exposures and combine them in post. In this case it would be relatively easy to cut out the window from an exposure that properly exposes it, and plops it into an image that properly exposes the rest of the room, no HDR software required.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
HDR
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

????

Could you be more specific?

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

No single setting will do it. You do not have the dynamic range for the shot. You have 3 choices:

HDR, as already mentioned, where you take multiple shots at different exosures.

Expose for outside the window, and leave the room darker than it is now.

Expose for the room and blow out the window.

OR you use a flash to light the room to a similar brightness as the outdoor scene.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

But be aware of flash reflections from the window.

@cicopo wrote:

OR you use a flash to light the room to a similar brightness as the outdoor scene.

This is tough to do with a camera mounted Speedlite.  Making the lighting look natural should require multiple studio strobes.

Thanks, I did try that, but it also washed out some of the details from the view out of the window.

@Need2know wrote:

Thanks, I did try that, but it also washed out some of the details from the view out of the window.

What did you try to do?

I tried this:

Announcements