cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sequential Numbering of Folders and Photos - A590

baumgrenze
Contributor

My A590 has been chugging along sequentially generating image numbers in the DCIM folder on the CF card, e.g., IMG_5254 is in 252CANON. When I hit 5300 I would create a new folder on the CF card and move any images >5300 to 253CANON and any new images would be added to that folder.

I never 'understood' how it all worked. Recently I found that the camera had decided to create a folder 500CANON. When it had 100 images I believe I created 501CANON.  I copied and deleted the images in these folders and moved them to 252CANON, etc.

Now I suddenly find that this process is finding dupicate images that are duplicate only in name but not in content. Perhaps it was at the end of a long day and I was on 'autopilot' but the images seem to be out of sequence by 5 images.

I don't want to 'dig a deeper hole' and make the problem more difficult to solve. I get the sense that the problem probably lies in a recent CTG file. I gather that they keep track of image numbers, linking them to content.

Here is where I am at now?

CTG_Files_CanonA590_04_28_17.jpg

What should I do next?

thanks

baumgrenze

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It took 2 calls. The first tech asked me to connect the camera to a USB port and I did not have the proper cable right at hand. both techs I spoke with were easy to understand and seemed confident and 'well informed.' Unfortunately they led me to download Canon software I did not need that copied all the images on my SD card into separate folders, one for each date the camera was used and placed them in Microsoft's Pictures folder.

They did not solve my problem. I eventually did.

Now all I need to do is find the new file structure and the software and delete them all.

We can calll my problem solved. To say that the previous post solved the problem would be gross a overstatement.

I learned that I need to be more careful before following instructions from Tech Support, perhaps asking questions about what I'm being asked to do and why.

thanks

baumgrenze

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Baumgrenze,

Thanks for posting.

"CTG" files aren't image files, but are files that help your camera and Canon software keep track of the images. If removed from your camera's SD card, the camera may not be able to locate images.

With regard to folder creation, your camera will automatically create a new folder when a maximum of 2000 images have been stored in one. It can also be set to create a folder daily or monthly. For more on this feature, please take a look at "Setting the Day or Time for Automatic Folder Creation", which is on page 145 in the PowerShot A590 IS Camera User Guide.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for replying.

I am still confused as to how the SD card can have two images on it with the same Canon generated number, stored in different folders.

2ImagesOnSameCFCard_SameName_DifferentDates.jpg

I have the image portions of the above image in a Word document with the EXIF information for each image in two columns under the image.

Would it help to provide this information, too. I don't want to clutter the post and I also don't see how to attach a Word document. I could simply copy and paste the information as text in the post if it would help.

thanks

baumgrenze

If those photos were really taken at two different dates that is fine. The folder numbering start with ...5254...

Try again taking photo today and see if the numbering starts with...5254. 

Sd card creates folder number according to shot date.

Thanks for trying, but this is not the case. More recent photos have been assigned sequential numbers.

Perhaps I am fortunate. RIght at the 'trouble point' with these photos I was having problems with an Apple watch my son gave to me. I took several hand-held photos and they were too blurred for my taste. I set the camera up on my tripod and used the self timer and finally got a suitable photograph.

Will the Canon A590 software allow me to rename files in the DCIM folder? If so, I believe I can 'simply' replace some of the useless watch photos with ones that I like and move forward.

Has anyone had experience with this approach?

thanks

baumgrenze

Hi Baumgrenze,

For assistance with this, I recommend contacting our Technical Support Department. For contact options, please use this link: http://Canon.us/ContactCF

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I called Technical Support and was led down the Procrustean path of using Canon software to download photos from the camera using a USB cable into Microsoft's arbitrary Pictures folder, into folders arbitrarily sorted by date. Certainly not what I wanted, but I wasn't told what I was doing until it was done. I will try to make time to clean up the mess and uninstall the software sometime soon.

In the meantime I sorted out the problem for myself.

If the only way to mark the thread as solved is to declare the last post an acceptable solution, so beit.

baumgrenze

It took 2 calls. The first tech asked me to connect the camera to a USB port and I did not have the proper cable right at hand. both techs I spoke with were easy to understand and seemed confident and 'well informed.' Unfortunately they led me to download Canon software I did not need that copied all the images on my SD card into separate folders, one for each date the camera was used and placed them in Microsoft's Pictures folder.

They did not solve my problem. I eventually did.

Now all I need to do is find the new file structure and the software and delete them all.

We can calll my problem solved. To say that the previous post solved the problem would be gross a overstatement.

I learned that I need to be more careful before following instructions from Tech Support, perhaps asking questions about what I'm being asked to do and why.

thanks

baumgrenze

Announcements