cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX740 HS - wireless connection

dikliu
Contributor

I have SX740 HS and I am trying to connect it to my Windows 10 PC. I have installed the latest Image Transfer Utility II (Image Transfer Utility 2.2.10 for Windows). When I try to connect the camera to the PC via Wi-Fi, it only worked intermittently. Now, it doesn't work. While transferring files, I can see that the camera is transferring the files. But on the PC end, Image Transfer Utility II is unresponsive. When I try the open Image Transfer Utility from the PC's system tray and from the Start menu, nothing happens. I was able to open the Utility when the transfer was successful. But, not now. Thanks for your help.

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Why don't you use a USB cable?  It is much faster than Wi-Fi for transferring multiple photo files.  Your computer cannot connect to two Wi-Fi access points at once.  But, it can connect to more than one Bluetooth device at once.

The best and fastest method to transfer multiple photo files is with a memory card reader.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The reason I don't transfer the files using a memory card is that the camera is always mounted on a tripod that is far away from the computer. The camera is for work and I rely on it heavily throughout the day. So, I can't keep screwing and unscrewing the tripod's release plate to have access to the card. This is why I bought a camera with wi-fi function. If I were to use a cable, it will have to be a very long one.

But, since I paid for a camera that comes with a Wi-Fi function, I'd like to make that work. Any suggestions for doing that? Thanks.

@dikliu wrote:

The reason I don't transfer the files using a memory card is that the camera is always mounted on a tripod that is far away from the computer. The camera is for work and I rely on it heavily throughout the day. So, I can't keep screwing and unscrewing the tripod's release plate to have access to the card. This is why I bought a camera with wi-fi function. If I were to use a cable, it will have to be a very long one.

But, since I paid for a camera that comes with a Wi-Fi function, I'd like to make that work. Any suggestions for doing that? Thanks.

I have already suggested the Bluetooth, but it sounds like the camera may be too far aware for that, too.  

If the Wi-Fi connection is dropping it is probably because the connection has gone idle.  If you are operating the camera remotely, via Wi-Fi, this should not be happening.  I do not fully understand what it is that you are trying to do.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes, Bluetooth is too far away, What I am trying to do is to send the photos to my PC. The camera seems to be transmitting the images. I can verify this when I click on the camera's menu button. But, the Image Transfer Utility II is unresponsive. Even when I click to open the Utility, it doesn't open. Nothing happens.

But, just now, when I clicked to open the Utility, it asked if the app can make changes to the system. I selected yes, and the Utility opened and all of the images transferred to the PC. I don't know why the Utility would unexpectedly work. So, if it doesn't work again, I don't know how to fix it. Oh well, I guess I have to wait and see. Thanks.

Trying to bump up this topic. I am still having the same issue. When I boot up Windows, it can connect with the camera and download images for a few hours. After that, it stops working.

Announcements