cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX70HS: Need high ISO and long exposure for night shots

mhammock
Apprentice

There appears to be a default linmitation when in manual mode that the ISO can only be 100 if the exposure time goes longer than 1 sec.  For night/star shots, I'd need about 5 - 10 sec at ISO 1600 or 3200.  I am on latest firmware (1.1.0).  

Is there any way to circumvent or otherwise get around this limitation?  

Thanks...

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@mhammock wrote:

There appears to be a default linmitation when in manual mode that the ISO can only be 100 if the exposure time goes longer than 1 sec.  For night/star shots, I'd need about 5 - 10 sec at ISO 1600 or 3200.  I am on latest firmware (1.1.0).  

Is there any way to circumvent or otherwise get around this limitation?  

Thanks...

Page 242 of the manual states that for shutter speeds of 1.3 seconds or slower, ISO is fixed at 100.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I had done a search of the manual looking at occurrances of "ISO" but could not find that....

But, the question somewhat still remains, is there any (reasonable) way around what appears to be a rather arbitary restriction??  I'd rather not have to lug my Canon 20D and lenses with me on a trip just because of this issue.

@mhammock wrote:

I had done a search of the manual looking at occurrances of "ISO" but could not find that....

But, the question somewhat still remains, is there any (reasonable) way around what appears to be a rather arbitary restriction??  I'd rather not have to lug my Canon 20D and lenses with me on a trip just because of this issue.

The question still remains?  Does this mean that you could not find page 242?  The answer to your question is an unequivocal no.

Actually, I didn't doubt that information is in the manual or such place "somewhere", but....  I had downloaded the current SX70HS manual on Nov 7 (.pdf file) and on that manual, pg 242 is titled "Optional Accessories" and has nothing to do with the subject.  

In my manual, pg 72, when discussing Tv mode, states the 1.3 second ISO 100 limitation.  Then it states the same limitation on pg 75 when discussing M mode.  

It just seems to be a rather arbitiary restricion and I was hoping there was a reasonable circumvention, perhaps using the Custom settings Modes or night mode.  I have investigated a number of these and have not found a solution and was hoping that someone witth more experience with the camera, rather than with the manual (no offense), might have figured something out. 

You're always welcome to contact support at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666). 

@mhammock wrote:

You can download the Instruction Manual and the Advanced User Guide on your camera's support page.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/point-and-shoot-digital-ca... 

That is exactly what I did back on Nov 7.  Actually, there is an "Advanced User Guide" and a "Supplemental Information"but nothing called a Instruction Manual.   The page numbers I referenced are from the Advanced User Guide.  According to the dates for the documents on the web site, they were updated on Oct 28, so perhaps the version you may have gotten previously had been replaced with new ones using a different page numbering scheme.

killer_wombat
Apprentice

I have been looking at exactly the same thing. As I see it, I can try to muck around with CHDK or similar, OR find a bunch of similar-minded people, agree on a common wish-list and send it to the canon firmware development team.

Announcements