cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX700 Audio out of sync

CaryChauvet
Contributor

I just purchased a new SX700 and have taken several videos over the last 24 hours.  In each of these videos, some short and others long, all of the audio is out of sync.  Am I missing some setting or should I return the camera for a replacement?  This cannot be normal.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I've returned the SX700 because I need a third party software for importing the video and Canon's software has not been updated for Mavericks.  To use the camera without the software means I must import the footage into Final Cut Pro as well as iMovie and various Adobe editing and image programs.  That's just too much.  I need all the footage placed in a workable format in a folder on my desktop so I can pick and choose.  

Nice camera.  If you're going to release a nice camera you need to also update your own software or lose out on sales.  

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CaryChauvet
Contributor

On further investigation it seems to be the software importing application causing the problem.  If I import the video directly from the camera via USB cable from camera to computer and into iMovie or play the movie directly on the camera the audio is in sync.  If I download it using the CameraWindow DC Version 8.10.0.11 provided by Canon then upon playback the audio is out of sync.

This is good to know because I do not want to have to return the camera.  OTOH, This software was quick and allowed me an easy way to delete the videos from the camera.  I'll remove the Canon software and rely on the other methods.

Checking for new software I find the Canon software site indicates there is no video or snapshot software available for my operating systems (Mac 10.9, Mavericks).

That's the problem.  Bummer.  Maybe I should have gone with the Sony...

I've returned the SX700 because I need a third party software for importing the video and Canon's software has not been updated for Mavericks.  To use the camera without the software means I must import the footage into Final Cut Pro as well as iMovie and various Adobe editing and image programs.  That's just too much.  I need all the footage placed in a workable format in a folder on my desktop so I can pick and choose.  

Nice camera.  If you're going to release a nice camera you need to also update your own software or lose out on sales.  

I presume Apple's own Image Capture is still being issued with the newer OSX versions.  Did you try that?  I am in the opposite situation where I still use OSX 10.4 with devices that require software generations younger.  I have used Image Capture to download media from an iPhone which requires OSX 10.6 or higher for iTunes sync, and with a Canon SX280 (until I returned it last year).

Powershots: A80, SD1300is, SX280 (returned)

Yes, I tried as many as I could find.  My job is film production and editing so I'm familiar with all the third party image/video importers.  The only way I could get the audio to sync was to use the importing features of Final Cut Pro and/or iMovie.  They work fine but make my archiving much harder. I have to generate clips or string all the clips together into one big video in 1080 format, park it in iTunes then drag it off to the desktop.  This is far too much work and adds extra time (in hours) to my working schedule.

Prior to this I imported the raw footage using the Canon software that came with the Powershop 330 and that program created a folder on the desktop with the individual videos.  This, for me, is the best way to archive the image data because I can rename and drag that folder off to an external drive.

By importing into FCP or iMovie those directories grow to an enormous size quickly and my only recourse is the action above (make a movie) or delete the footage and be unable to save the raw footage.  Yes, I can use the FCP/iMovie option to import to a different drive but all of the newly required steps make the Canon PowerShot too cumbersome.  

I've moved on to Sony and no longer have that problem.  Best of luck to you.  

I use PhoneView to import any media from iPad or iPhone and that too, places the media in a desktop folder of my choosing.  I am currently beta testing Yosemite (OS X 10.10) on a separate drive and the Canon software does not work there either (but that is expected).

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements