cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX70 ! ....

Grazie
Rising Star

.... and it’s 4k..... too excited. You do the searches.

OK, here yah goes:https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/canon-announces-top-of-bridge-range-powershot-sx70-hs

18 REPLIES 18

Grazie
Rising Star

Some further specs from Canon UK :https://www.canon.co.uk/cameras/powershot-sx70-hs/specifications/

Q1 : Where’s RAW?

Q2 : Where’s Audio Inputs?

I have to say I am not impressed by the latest iteration of the SXxx series from what I have read so far.

Hits:

Vastly improved EVF, that is a real improvement over the earliers versions

For those who do video (not me) I am glad they got some 4k performance - but I would expect both mic and headphone inputs if they were serious about video.

Faster processor

Not sure:

Some sites indicate the camera does support RAW while others say not.  It would be really a pain if they dropped RAW as it is one of  best tools to improve the quality of the images in PP.

Misses:

Sensor size - Another shot in the MP war.  For a sensor this size it makes no sense to me to keep cramming more pixels into this space.  They will simply be less efficient and generate more noise.  Frankly I would have preferred fewer (and larger, less  noisy) pixels with improved dynamic range and low light performance.

Loss of the hotshoe - the built-in flash is not that powerful but will drain the rather small battery. Being able to attach and control an external flash was one big feature of this series as it made up for the slower lens performance.

I was fine with the focal length range but would have hoped for slightly better and faster lens performance.

I have had the SX40 and SX50, and I currently have the SX60 - this will not encourge me to buy the new version.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tronhard nice summary of the misses with the SX70. I have 2, SX50's and when I went on the Canon website to check out the 70 I shook my head. No hot shoe is a deal breaker for me alone no less all the other shortfalls. And am I wrong it is 65X zoom (SX65HS?) whereas the past model names also implied the optical zoom length too? Oh well, let's see if the SX80 with 80X optical zoom, not 75X (I hope) has more hits than misses.

@John_ wrote:

Tronhard nice summary of the misses with the SX70. I have 2, SX50's and when I went on the Canon website to check out the 70 I shook my head. No hot shoe is a deal breaker for me alone no less all the other shortfalls. And am I wrong it is 65X zoom (SX65HS?) whereas the past model names also implied the optical zoom length too? Oh well, let's see if the SX80 with 80X optical zoom, not 75X (I hope) has more hits than misses.

Hi John:

Thanks for your comments.  As far as I know the lens is the same as the SX60HS  There is a preview on the DPRievew site including the specs.

Such a shame really.  For people who want a small camera that has an amazing zoom range this is potentially a great unit, but it will only continue to suffer from small pixel noise as long as they cram more in there.  I would have been happy to see a really good 12MP sensor with great DR and an upgraded processor.

Like many other cameras it seems that they are trying to make the thing more suitable to videographers - and I have no objection to that as long as they didn't cripple it as a stills camera.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Your welcome! It does have latest RAW, CR3 and it is 65X zoom as per the press release from Canon, here's the link https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/about/newsroom/press-releases/press-release-detail...

Disappointed and underwhelmed. Granted that the 4K is tempting. IMHO MrC has decided if I want more, then go for the bigger, and at extra £200-ish, it's gonna push the noobs into the arms of non-Bridge Canons. I'm hoping my SX50hs holds together.

TAXI!

Pretty disappointed in SX70

I've had SX50 and several SX60s (I do photos in rain and snow fall, so....they don't last as long as one'd wish). As I am a complete amateur and only take pictures of wild animals in nature, the SX60 has been way ahead of other (affordable) compact cameras. I've tried Sony, Nikon Coolpix 900 etc., but none of them came even close to my purposes. The main trump in SX60 was not just the zoom, but focusing. It was lightning fast. When a deer or wild boar jumped over the road, I'd get 5 to 10 pics. With Nikon I'd get one....as it started thinking about saving the previous and then it started to think maybe focusing on the next one....but by then, the animals were long gone. But now, Canon has taken a step back. SX70 is similar to those useless Nikons and Sonys. It starts thinking after the shot. I'd change back into SX60s but seems they've been discontinued....  😞

Nooooooo! You can still get a new SX60 from Canon 🙂  https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/powershot-sx60-hs

John, that page is showing, “On Back Order”. Hmm... 🤔 

Announcements