Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

SX60HS "M" vs "P" Mode

Can someone please tell me the difference between the manual mode and the program mode on the Canon sx60hs powershot?
Super Contributor

Re: SX60HS "M" vs "P" Mode

I can, but before that, have you downloaded the Canon SX60hs Users Manual?  Free PDF Canon SX60HS Users Manual

It's a great addition to your SX60HS experience. If you have any further questions, get back to us.

Product Expert

Hi DougY,

Thank you for posting.

The "P" (Programmed AE) mode is a fully automatic mode that allows make certain settings (e.g. white balance, exposure compensation, ISO, metering, etc) that affect the way the camera determines exposure settings.

The "M" (Manual) mode allows you to choose nearly all exposure settings your camera.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Respected Contributor

The way I have heard it explained is P mode is basically A mode but it lets you adjust certain settings. As you get to learn more about your camera (read the manual) P mode is a good mode which is not too risky.