cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX60 auto focus problem at high zoom

ojreichman
Contributor

At zoom levels approaching max. optical and into digital zoom the camera fails to auto-focus (but does so at zooms below 50X).  I’ve tried many of the permutations of focus settings, and read earlier posts relating to similar issues, but have not found a solution.  I have been working with plenty of light (ISO 200, shutter speed 1/250 and up, and within the aperture range of the camera).  

Suggestions?

Thanks...

17 REPLIES 17

@ojreichman wrote:

Waddizzle - any thoughts about the removal of the polarizer affecting the focus, other than just (just?) increasing the light a couple of stops?

Thanks,  Jim

Many image sensors work by comparing contrast on different phases of light.  A polarizer removes out of phase light.  I have had a couple of DSLR lenses that did not like CPL of UV filters.  All I use now are CLEAR protective filters on lenses.

37F7705F-371F-4185-A92C-9E521A78427C.jpeg

Suddenly, all of my colors improved.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Interesting, thanks again.

dbhuff49
Contributor
Here's one I took @ full optical zoom mid day had held no filters.

@dbhuff49 wrote:
Here's one I took @ full optical zoom mid day had held no filters.

Hi - I'd like to see it too? - Where is it?

Cheers

G

Caribe
Contributor
That’s very interesting. I had my polarizing filter on as well when I experienced the auto focus “confusion”, as though not finding the subject to focus on and then settling for the blurry image.

Caribe
Contributor
That’s very interesting. I had my polarizing filter on as well when I experienced the auto focus “confusion”, as though not finding the subject to focus on and then settling for the blurry image. I shoot boats on Caribbean waters and I love the polarizing affect, but at high zooms the auto focusing is hit or miss.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
At very long focal lengths, you need to hold the camera really steady for it to focus. Even better, use a tripod.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

SX60hs. Shot through green foliage. Blue London Skies. CircPola. Hand held. Chimneys 80 metres away. Auto Focus popped then shot. Look at the detail on the TV antenna, I can almost make out the threads on the Wing-nut bolts!  

0D5549E3-0743-4011-A3AC-38C3F50D7598.jpeg

Announcements