cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX60 - After 22 mos of great photos, they are now grainy.

TeresaJ
Apprentice

After 22 months and tens of thousands of photos with my SX60, photos have started coming out very grainy. Focus looks perfect through the view finder.  Videos still come out fine.  I use Auto mode 99% of the time and mostly shoot birds, butterflies, flora, pets, wild life.  Love the X65 Optical Zoom (I don’t use the Digital Zoom). To troubleshoot I’ve tried “Reset All”, different Modes and Settings, Single Shot vs Continuous, jpeg vs raw, handheld vs tripod,  different locations and lighting, fresh battery.  Could I have worn out this camera?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you BurnUnit and John_ for your responses.  I’ve confirmed the Digital Zoom is Off.   After getting a couple nice shots outside today with the tripod I am leaning more towards operator error.  I am stopping at the camera shop tomorrow to see what they say.  I am closing this thread.  Thank you again.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

BurnUnit
Whiz

It's possible, of course, but I really don't know what the life expectancy of one of these cameras is. Especially in terms of the number of shutter actuations, though it sounds like the shutter is still working as expected.

It might help if you could post a sample of one or two of the affected images with the EXIF data intact. Someone may be able to find a camera setting that seems incorrect that might explain your problem.

Are you sure you're not accidentally using the digital zoom? There is probably a menu setting that allows you to lock-out the digital zoom function. Might it have accidentally gotten turned off?

There is a setting in the menu to disable the digital zoom I have the SX50HS which is very similar. Even when I use the digital zoom on mine I get good pictures with good light and exposure settings. I think there is something else going on. If the sensor was faulty that might cause noise shooting stills and maybe not videos because videos allow constant light on to the sensor and a higher signal. I'm just guessing though. From my understanding noise is produced or can be seen when the signal is too low. The signal being the light entering the lens. When the signal to noise ratio is low you see the noise. There is always noise no matter what but in a properly exposed picture, it cannot be seen. So unless it is a setting somewhere my thoughts are it is the sensor is worn out or lost its efficiency.

Thank you BurnUnit and John_ for your responses.  I’ve confirmed the Digital Zoom is Off.   After getting a couple nice shots outside today with the tripod I am leaning more towards operator error.  I am stopping at the camera shop tomorrow to see what they say.  I am closing this thread.  Thank you again.

Announcements