cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX510HS Screen Issues

oneilljf
Contributor

I recently sent my SX510 in for service due to a grainy LCD screen and pictures that showed overexposed on the camera screen but were fine when downloaded to the computer. They sent me a new camera and the grainy screen is better but still evident in low light. When I look at the pictures I've taken on the screen they are still overexposed, especially when using the flash. I have turned down the brightness on the screen to its lowest level and that has helped some but I still don't feel they are representative of the actual photo taken when it is sent to another device. 

I have not seen any other complaints about this issue and since I am on my second camera I was wondering if this is considered normal or there is way to adjust it other than LCD brightness.

11 REPLIES 11

Davy
Rising Star

Hi.

I don't have the SX510 so I can not really comment at 'first hand'.

You can appreciate all cameras of varying models will have their own little 'quirks' some are better and some may be worse.

Should you not get any replies from a SX510 owner then I would suggest looking a Camera review up at say Steves Digicams or some other 'camera lab' where you will see test photos and results.

I am wondering if the ISO is set  far too high, this usually brings the noise up. 

For the time being I would take some shots with varying ISO setting and in varying modes..... with ALL cameras the higher the ISO the grainier the picture,  you'll also notice loss of diffinition, as well.

It  would be helpful if you could tell us the setting's that you are presently using to take these shots

Dave

Thanks for the reply Dave. I did look into some of the reviews you suggested. A lot of the info I really didn't understand but I could not find anything referencing my exact problem.

Being a novice, the biggest majority of shots we take are in the Auto setting. I have gone to the P setting and toned down the flash and that makes the pictures look decent on the camera screen but too dark when I look at them on the computer or ipad. It really seems to me that the LCD screen just doesn't come close to representing the final picture. I deleted a number of shots that I thought were over exposed before I realized that once transferred to the computer they looked perfect.

I would appreciate any other input on this.

John

Probably the best bet is to return it back to Canon but do keep a copy of ALL correspondants along with the date etc, explaining everything again.

If this is a new camera and still under warranty get in touch with the place you bought it from.

From what you are saying there is a camera issue here be it the processor or the lcd itself.... If this was me  and it' came back faulty the 2nd time I'd be escalating this to some legal adviser  -  since one has sent the camera for repair it should have come back repaired and it hasn't.

Even a low resolution display wouldn't produce the fault you mentioned.

Dave

Hi Oneilljf,

So we may better assist you, please contact us.

Please have the repair number for your camera handy when you get in touch with us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks Richard. I just tried calling and could not get the representative to understand the problem. I was never asked for the repair number. She just wanted me to reset the camera, which I have already done and change the P settings, which I have already done. I kept trying to explain that there was nothing wrong with the pictures, just the way the were represented as over exposed on the camera screen. She said to just send it in for repair which is pointless since I was told with first one I sent that there is no way to repair, only replace.  I asked to speak to someone else but was told I would just have to call back to get put into the queue. 

I have always been impressed with Canon's customer service so I'm sure this was an anomaly but I don't feel like calling back and having to go through this all over again. Would an email be better?

You don't want to be emailing because you have no idea when it will be read or replied to, no harm in trying however.

I would be phoning and requesting an escalation of this matter to higher levels since the camera had been previously returned and still apprently faulty.... and I would certainly point out that you have been through all this routine prior to sending it back previously. 

A written letter in these cases has more 'clout' than what Emails do, especially  if you send it recorded or registered mail where it has to be signed for.... and always indicate you want a reply on the matter in it, a copy should be kept.

Richard advised and he's a Canon rep so all you can do is to wait his reponse or go it on your own,  I too would certainly be sending it back!

When you ask to 'escalate to further levels'  it sets alarm bells ringing.

Dave

Hi oneilljf,

Based off of what you've described, it sounds like the night display function is being activated.  The screen brightness is automatically increased by the night display function when you are shooting under low light, making it easier to check how shots are composed.  The on-screen image brightness may not match the brightness of your shots.

Please try taking some test shots outside on a sunny day; do not perform the test indoors.  Although the light indoors may appear bright to your eyes, indoor lighting is not normally very powerful and the night display may activate.  While outside, does the LCD more accurately display the brightness?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I really appreciate the help Tim. I did as you suggested and the display is still overexposed. As an example, a few of my shots had a wood fence in the background. On the display it looked bright and washed out but when sent to my ipad you could actually see the grain in the wood and it looked totally natural. Also a shot of a lemon tree next to my house made the siding on the house look almost bright white but when sent to the ipad the natural darker creamier color showed.

I cuurently have the LCD brightness set to its lowest level. When I increase it to the factory setting in the middle it makes everything even worse.

Looks like you are on your own.....

these Canon experts 'post n' scarper', how much longer does one have to wait?

Dave

Announcements