cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX510 HS Wi Fi image transfer works only sometimes

blueribb
Contributor

I connected my camera to my home wireless network and transferred the photos to my computer. The next day it searches for the device connected to my access point and after about 3 minutes it says: Device not found.

I have the latest Canon software installed and my home wireless network is working 100% with all other devices in our home. I have called Canon for tech support but they keep telling me to delete the camera network settings and start all over again. Sometimes this works and most of the time it does not.

Any help would be appreciated

Windows 10 Desktop Computer (ethernet connection)

Dell Inspiron 660 i5

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I was able to get it working again.

While the camera was searching for the device, I did this:

1. Control Panel

2. Network and Sharing Center

3. Expand "All Networks"

4. Click "Choose Media Streaming Options"

5. This was OFF (it was ON previously). I turned it ON again.

6. Go to View Network Computers and Devices

7. Right-click the camera and choose "install" (if needed)

Wi Fi Image Transfers work perfectly again. I made a step-by-step guide to fix this and placed it on my desktop for future reference. I'm sure I'll have to use it again.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@blueribb wrote:

I connected my camera to my home wireless network and transferred the photos to my computer. The next day it searches for the device connected to my access point and after about 3 minutes it says: Device not found.

I have the latest Canon software installed and my home wireless network is working 100% with all other devices in our home. I have called Canon for tech support but they keep telling me to delete the camera network settings and start all over again. Sometimes this works and most of the time it does not.

Any help would be appreciated

Windows 10

Dell Inspiron 660 i5

Is your computer also Wi-Fi enabled, like is it a laptop?  You may try to disable IPv6 on your router.  I  am beginning to suspect some of the Wi-Fi issues related to Canon products could be related to communication chaannels with the access point.  Your access point can change channel requencies on the fly.  I suspect Canon products are not keeping up.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

My computer is a desktop using a wired network connection. It seems the camera locates the wireless access point but not the device (computer ??).

I checked the router settings and IPv6 is already disabled (by default)

Verizon FIOS Router

Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

Note: this is a fairly late revision model with gigabit ethernet

I was able to get it working again.

While the camera was searching for the device, I did this:

1. Control Panel

2. Network and Sharing Center

3. Expand "All Networks"

4. Click "Choose Media Streaming Options"

5. This was OFF (it was ON previously). I turned it ON again.

6. Go to View Network Computers and Devices

7. Right-click the camera and choose "install" (if needed)

Wi Fi Image Transfers work perfectly again. I made a step-by-step guide to fix this and placed it on my desktop for future reference. I'm sure I'll have to use it again.

Announcements