cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX50HS Problem

ridgerunner
Apprentice

Bit odd this one, Was shooting yesterday on auto mode and all of a sudden the viewfinder went black, Now all settings etc are visible in the viewfider and everything seems to be working, shutter fires, flash works but nothing in the viewfinder and all pics are just blank.

Could this be a shutter problem maybe jammed closed?

Trying to find somewhere to get it looked at is impossible in this area so wondered if anyone has had the same problem, Camera 16 months old and out of warranty.

Thanks Ridgerunner

5 REPLIES 5

John_
Authority

That is odd. What is the status of the LCD ? Does that work ?  And pressing the Display button does not correct your problem either?

If you can access the settings menu try doing a rest all or reset to defualts I forgot which it is called.

You can also try removing the battery and holding down the power switch for about 30-45 seconds.

The fact that you can take pictures but cannot see them after can mean several different problems internally

Hopefully it is just a software/firmware glitch.

Thanks for the reply John, Yes it is odd, the LCD is working fine and have done various resets as you suggested. The only easy way to describe it is that its like you left the lens cap on so there is no view at all.
I'm not to up on these things sadly so value your input.

Your welcone, I would suggest calling Canon and see what they will give you for a repair estimate. They just had refurb SX50's on sale for $290 about a week ago, I know because I bought one for my daughter I already have one.

Many thanks will call them next week.

ridgerunner
Apprentice
Sadly none of the suggestions solved the problem, Canon here in the UK wanted around £160 to fix the problem so I ended buying another as new SX50HS from ebay for the same price! Thanks to those who got back to me most appreciated.
Announcements