cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX50HS: No live image; screen & viewfinder show settings

Stardazer
Apprentice
Hi, When I turn on my SX50HS camera and remove the lens cap there is no "live" image in the viewfinder or flip screen. The screen is on and does reflect settings and menu options per mode selected on top with one curious anomaly: when I begin to zoom in and the lens moves accordingly, there is no indication of zoom ratio but rather a scrolling of apparent distance beginning at 1.9" and ending at 4.2 ft. The shutter seems to respond. I can normally review previous images taken from the SD card either on the screen or through the viewfinder. I have changed batteries, performed reset and even the trick of setting it to TV mode, taking a 15 second exposure and interrupting by opening the battery door (which does beep) then removing and reinstalling the battery multiple times. When I scroll to the attempts to snap something each frame shows up blank screen. They are numbered sequentially and there are places for them when doing thumbnail view.

Anyone else have this & resolved?

Bruce
4 REPLIES 4

John_
Authority

Have you tried pressing the display button mulltiple times? There is a slight chance that the circuit board underneath that button is in a "stuck" state whereas the little printed circuit board switch is stuck somehow in limbo. I'm just guessing because it is part of the circuitry to steer the image. Outside of that and what you've already tried there aren't any other solutions outside of repair.

Hi John! Thanks for the tip. While I had tried that earlier I went abroad and did it about 20 additional times. The display toggled well between screen and viewfinder but still no live view. Also removed battery, rebooted and tried same sequence several more times. Thanks again for trying.

Stardazer

Ok I just looked at a service manual I have for a G11 and the troubleshooting chart for no image displayed. They list 2 possibilities the main circuit board or the LCD circuit board as the 2 possibilities. The G11 is similar in design and buttons like the display button. Both possibilities require service and parts in which case a working used or refurbished SX50 would likely cost less. I have 2 SX50's by the way and many accessories for them I like the camera.

Stardazer
Apprentice
Hi John! Thanks for your resourcefulness! I think you've nailed the issue. Since I can display images for previous stored ones on the SD card I tend to think it's probably the the main Ckt pcb. They quoted $79 for service fee. I wonder what the pcb costs? Would that be cost effective? Else, I could send it in and buy a refurbished SX60 HS for $364 (just $15 allowance for recycling the SX50). Seems I can already get a better deal on eBay for a new SX60. BTW, maybe 18 months ago I was one tow from the top of our local coliseum and took pretty decent shots of Sir Paul McCartney in concert with my SX50. It startled a lot of my friends who only had seen cell phone pix. One person exclaimed, "You can actually see his face!" Anyway, still weighing options. Thanks, John!
Announcements