Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

SX500 IS upgrade or not?

I have the SX500 with a 30x zoom was thinking of upgrading to the SX530 which has a stronger zoom50x is this a good decision or would the diference in the zooms not make that much difference. I have read it is slower to focus.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: SX500 IS upgrade or not?

Going from a super zoom to a super duper zoom is only an upgrade if you had found the super zoom to be too short.  That seems unlikely unless you are shooting birds.  In designing a lens with a hyper-broad range of focal length necessitates some compromises in image quality.  Better to just move a bit closer to your subject using a lens that is designed to deal with a more specific focal length range. 

What at do you shoot?  Maybe you'd like a camera with a bigger sensor, and/or a wider aperture.  Maybe an interchangeable lens camera?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: SX500 IS upgrade or not?

Thank you for your reply. I usually take photos of animals, birds etc. I am not really familiar with this camera I used to use a SLR but it was not digital it used film and it broke. My husband got this for me as a gift he is not camera wise and did not realize the lens could not be changed. So I guess I will make do. Thanks again for your kind reply