cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX50 shuts down after one photo

EllieS
Apprentice

I have an SX50 HS that has recently been shutting down after I take one shot.  If I take a shot, then try to take a second one, the first works fine.  Then I press the shutter again, the display goes black, and the camera shuts down.  This behavior is relatively new in the last month or so; the camera used to work fine for multiple shots.  I've checked the various settings in the menu, but can't find anything that seems to be causing the problem.  The most likely setting seemed to be the Display Off setting -- I checked and the max time is 3 minutes, which is what it was set to.  Then I thought maybe it was because I was using a non-Canon battery, so I tried it with the Canon battery, but it still happens.  I'm not seeing any error message, it just shuts down.

What is particularly irritating is that when I start it up again, my aperture, shutter speed, and sometimes ISO settings have been reset.

Any help or suggestions of where to look next are much appreciated.  Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

John_
Authority

I have the SX50HS too in fact I have 2 of them.

There are only 3 things that will do that, old and tired batteries or an internal DC power problem. The last one would require service the first would only require trying a new battery. It could also be a faulty charger which is not charging the batteries properly yet giving a full charge indication. If I were you I'd buy a new battery and charger combo from some site or store with a "liberal" return policy and try that first. 

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have 3 batteries: the original Canon battery, a Watson that is almost as old (I got the camera 2 years ago), and a new Watson that I just bought recently.  One of the Watson's was in the camera when I started having the problem, so I switched to the Canon and it still happened.  Unfortunately, I don't know which of the Watson's is which, so I'll have to play around with trying them both.  I don't want to invest a lot of money in the camera, since I'll probably end up replacing it in the not too far future anyway, but I'll definitely experiment with the batteries and see if I can figure out which is the newer one and if that works better.   Thanks for your help.

Announcements