cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX50 HS vs SX60 HS for video

Randy1
Apprentice

I am trying to decide between the SX50 HS vs SX60 HS.  Videoing my childrens sports, concerts and plays/musicals is a key criteria.

Can you please tell me which camera takes better video (I have read that the SX50 is better???)

Can you tell me the max length of video clips that each camera can take before the video stops?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Once again, thanks to all for the support, that was extremely helpful

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Because of how the FAT-32 file system works, you cannot create files larger than 4GB.  You will not be able to create video clips longer than 29:59, either.  The higher resolution video formats consume disk space more quickly. 

If video is your highest priority, then I would suggest looking at some of the Vixia camcorders, too, many of which have been discounted recently.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank so so much for the quick reply!!   Do you know if that 4GB limit is also true with the DSLRs like the T6i?

To my knowledge that video limit applies to all cameras.

Besides the technical reasons for the limits some have said it's to protect and preserve the video cam markets also

Yes, the 4GB limit is true for DSLRs like the T6i. 

Like I said, it is a limit of the file format of the Disk Operating Systems used in PCs.  When files are stored on a disk, they are broken up into packets, and a list is kept of where all of those packets are physically located within the memory storage device.  Coincidently, the number 2 raised to the 32nd power (read 32 bits) is approximately equal to 4GB.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Once again, thanks to all for the support, that was extremely helpful

There is a big issue in SX60. Despite the possibility to switch from NTSC to PAL the frame rate remains 60 or 30 fps. This makes this camera useless in all PAL countries. In my long experience in video production I have never seen such a silly limitation.

Any chance to change this in future firmware upgrade?

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements