cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX40HS did not store photos with long night exposure

JasperJoe
Contributor

I've never had this problem before. In M mode, I set the camera for 4 and 6 second exposures to try to photograph the neowise comet. It took photos per normal (maybe 8 altogether) but when I looked on the SD card, they weren't there. Other photos taken previously and subsequently stored on the card normally.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Joe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The Micro SD cards requiring the use of an adapter have frequently proven to be "glitchty" for camera use. They just add another set of electrical contacts that can cause problems with communication between the camera and memory card.

Try a full-sized, brand name SD card (formatted in the camera) from a reputable source. Amazon and Ebay seem to be flooded with counterfeit cards of questionable quality. Try buying from a local camera shop or "big box" electronics store in your area, if possible. Even an 8 or 16 GB card should be sufficiently large unless you're shooting a great deal of HD video with this camera.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Are you using a full-size SD card or a Micro SD card with an adapter?

What specific brand and model of SD card?

I was using this micro SD combination:

SX40HS micro sd card.jpg

The Micro SD cards requiring the use of an adapter have frequently proven to be "glitchty" for camera use. They just add another set of electrical contacts that can cause problems with communication between the camera and memory card.

Try a full-sized, brand name SD card (formatted in the camera) from a reputable source. Amazon and Ebay seem to be flooded with counterfeit cards of questionable quality. Try buying from a local camera shop or "big box" electronics store in your area, if possible. Even an 8 or 16 GB card should be sufficiently large unless you're shooting a great deal of HD video with this camera.

OK I'll try that, however I was trying to get photos of neowise and it won't be back for 6000 years!

That is why you practice. Go out with a new card and see if it works.

If you don't want to run right out and buy or order a new card, do have any older full-size cards that you can use to find out if it fixes your problem? Maybe someone can loan you a card to test with. Just make sure that there's no files on the card that are irreplaceable because formatting the card will wipe everything out. Even a 1 or 2 GB card would work for testing purposes.

You should be able to figure things out in less than 6000 years though.

I have this one that was in my other Powershot. I hope it works - after I tried to photograph neowise, I turned my tripod around and took shots of Jupiter and Saturn that turned out so the problem is intermittent.

Powershot ELPH SD Card.jpg0

That is one gnarly looking card there, dude! Maybe knock some of the funk off it and give the contacts a cleaning with an alcohol swab. Then plug it into your SX40HS and see if it wants to play nice.

Announcements