cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX40HS Auto Focus Problem

arigsby
Apprentice

When I have the camera in auto mode it continously goes through different focus modes (auto, macro, and unknown). I have to wait until "auto" shows to take a picture. Is there any way to have only "auto" the only mode when in auot?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

smack53
Mentor

You have discovered why so many people learn the other modes of the camera. With so many Auto Modes for the camera to use, any change in the lighting makes the camera continue hunting for the "perfect" setting. If you use the scene modes, you will lessen the time the camera takes to obtain a focus. Better still is to learn the manual modes, so the camera doesn't have to "think" at all.

In short, Auto mode will handle just about everything for you, but the trade off is that you might miss some shots while the camera decides on how to capture the scene.

Steve M.

Steve M.: Thanks for the reply

John_
Authority

Once you turn the dial on top to Auto you should not be seeing what you described. You may be having a service issue. Your mode seletor switch may be failing.

I would do the following:

Thru your settings menu do a "Reset All"

if that does not work, remove the baterry and hol the power switch on for at least 30 seconds then replace the battery and keep your fingers crossed...turn it on. That is an old trick I leaned years ago and it works on computers to, lets face it these digital cameras are powered by small computers and electro-mechanical switches

John_
Authority

My bad I read that as a "mode" selection problem not a focus problem.

As Steve said Auto is not a great selection in many cases as it has to make many decisions automatically and yes sometimes slowly and you'll miss a shot.

Just switching to Program mode will solve most of your problems as it allows you to ajust the focus zone size and postition for subjects that may be difficult to focus on. But there are other methods also or causes of that problem too.

There is a book I bought a long time ago written for the SX40HS, I have the SX50HS but it ll still aplies to my camera too.

The title is * A Short Course in Powershot SX40HS Photograpy", written by Dennis P. Curtain.

It is well written esy to follow and breaks down all the important features, modes and settings very nicely. It is 161 pages long and worht the price. I refer to it a lot, it is a full sized 8.5 x 11 inch  wire bound book. It's large print unlike those smaller books Canon use to provide, easy to read but not to carry around yet still worth it.

John: Thanks for the suggestion.
Announcements