cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

Check out Nikon's model in the same price range. The zoom isn't nearly as good (120mm quivalent, compared to 500) but Nikon's low-end aperture is better (f/1.8 compared to f/3.5). The Nikon's sensor is bigger (1/1.7" vs 1/2.3"). Nikon has a RAW option, but the write time seemed very slow to me. In most other ways - excluding battery life, obviously - the cameras are pretty comparable. One thing I noted with the Nikon versus the Canon, the Nikon's photo quality was much better to begin with. It looks like Canon is doing some aggressive compression that leaves the photos feeling a bit crunchy for my tastes. Had Canon been a little more receptive with their customer service, I probably would never have noticed.

Thanks!

For those of you who have opted to replace your Canon with another brand, please post how they compare, including battery life. Thanks!

I agree! I'm definitely interested in video mode battery life. Please post options and comparisions.

Nikon Coolpix S9500 is very similar but better megapixels- 18.1. Runs $349.99. Just found a bundle at Walmart that includes a case and memory card for $249.99. Their price on the camera alone is $349.99. Heading to Best Buy to return Canon and price match Nikon! Score!!

I am THRILLED to report that I just unboxed my replacement Canon SX280 and the red, low battery indicator light does NOT flash when I record video using a fully charged battery!!! I was fully expecting the same issue and am so happy. I put so much research into the purchase of this camera and was really torn. Now I've fallen right back in love with it. HOWEVER, I've owned this new replacement for a whopping 30 minutes. I will most certainly report back if I encounter anything worthy of reporting. So, there is hope All. 😃 It may be worthwhile to send your camera in for repair since I am holding evidence than a SX280 actually exists without the false low battery indicator light. I am so relieved. I will be using it to capture an entire sporting event this weekend. I'll let you know how it fares.

what number of firmware?

1-14.0.1.0 (Now I'm curious what my other one was!)

How do you check firmware? I can tell you mine, which has the problem.

My computer, find your cam, right click, select properties.
Announcements