cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SX280 - battery life shooting video

factoryguy
Apprentice

UPDATED May 5:

I apologize to the forum for mixing two different problems.  They are unrelated.

Problem #1:  User error.  I thought I was using a class 6 SD card but I was wrong. The yellow "!" indicates a pathologically slow card.  Upgrading to a class 10 resolved this problem.

Problem #2: UNRESOLVED.  Red battery indicator comes on prematurely.  On a fresh charge, it'll turn red after recording for a couple of minutes.  On a partially drained battery, it turns red immediately upon entering movie mode or pressing the record button.  Turn the camera off and then right back on in "still" mode and it shows full charge and works fine ... until trying to shoot video.  I have not precisely measured recording times but it'll record for at least 20 (maybe 30?) minutes while flashing red.

1,334 REPLIES 1,334

I too just spoke with Canon Technical  2nd level support. He was trying to be extremely helpful. The camera is not on RECALL- but is "ON NOTICE"  which means if you call and complain - they will provide you with a prepaid return label and you will be asked  to return it to Irvine CA for their prepared repair. 

Basically if I send the camera back to them with the prepaid label- the camera will be returned to Irvine California. Their policy is that the camera will be repaired or replaced within 5-7 days. He called and spoke to Irvine for me. The response was that "chances are" I will receive the repaired camera back before the 7 days are up. However, it it is determined that the camera needs to be replaced- the new camera return  to me MAY be delayed (most probably in my opinion) as they DO NOT STOCK replacement cameras- one needs to be ordered. The length of time for a replacement could not be determined at this time. 

The Support Rep indicated that the majority of cameras out there DO NOT HAVE this issue.... not sure where to go from here.

lazman
Apprentice

I have just purchased the sx280 serial with xxxxx3xxxx, latest firmware.

To replicate this issue; charge the battery to full; 4.2Volts. Then place it into recording mode 1080p 60fps and don't touch it, it will record for 15-16minutes then get the red battery icon. Test the battery and it reads 3.7volts.  You can only record for 2-3mins max till you recharge the battery, but you can still take hundreds of pictures at the lower voltage.

Brought it back to the retailer we tested  the display model, same issue. Got a full refund.

I can understand how Canon can get away with not doing a recall on this camera because it still takes hundreds of pictures after the battery fails to supply power for video recording. Most customers would just accept this and keep it.

I suggest everybody buy this camera for taking photos for vacation. (when needed)

after back from vacation/ trip just complain to the shop and explain about the video problems. and take the refund.

so you can get the cameras for free.

and make canon aware if hundreds or thousands do the same they will know they have real problems

Geesh, folks aren't stupid... there is clearly a problem, no matter which memory card is being used, it should not be so. Ok, then why didn't Canon suggest using this or that card, why didn't hey dispatch the card with the camera.... further more why didn't they test the camera before release?

Did they ignore the fact, did they decide to use a lower capacity battery at the last minute? All I can say is the firmware did not do anything to solve the battery issue for a buddy of mine, needless to say he's returned it and got a different brand.

I would certainly suggest to Canon, if they want to sell anymore cameras to their remaining customers they'd better test it fully and iron all the flaws before release otherwise they too will be on Ebay a week or two after their release.... and they may lose more customers.

Wonder what they're doing with the stockpile that has been returned and remaind unsold?

Dave

My problem was when shooting video with a fresh charged battery and just touching the zoom, the red battery light would pop on. After loading in the new firm ware this does not happen anymore. I have taken so far 15 minutes of video with no red light.

ruko:

Reading the posts and from my own experience, upgrading the firmware helps the issue but does not solve it.  Yes, you now get 15 minutes or so.  With my camera it would then start flashing red and continue to flash even if switched back to stills mode until I completely powered down and restarted the camera when it would then say it had a full charge on the battery.  So which is is? Battery almost dead or is the battery fully charged?  In reality I could continue to shoot for another 15 minutes (both video and stills) so presumably it wasn't really on its last legs, but I had no way of estimating battery remaining. Of course I also had to be content with the camera flashing at me unless I wanted to restart the camera between each 10 seconds of video (using more battery power and adding to wear and tear).  Oh, I wasn't shooting 15 minutes of video anyway. All my clips were 20 seconds or less, though they did add up.  I would just keep on shooting until I got low battery for stills mode too and then put in a spare battery.  I just figured I hadn't paid several hundred dollars to play guessing games, and for that and other reasons I returned the camera.  It's a pity because I really, really wanted to like the camera.

I don't complain about short battery life as such. The battery is the same as one in my 3 year old 1200is which is handy in terms of buying spares which work in both cameras, and using my old charger for multiple battery charging.  I don't know much about battery technology but presumably some increased battery capacity comes at the cost of a larger camera and I'd rather they kept that down.  I don't mind a battery that lasts 30 minutes or whatever in pure video mode, but I want to know where I am with it.

Powershots: A80, SD1300is, SX280 (returned)

Limmie,

The wife is happy with it now and that really is as far as I'm going to go with this issue. She really likes the 20x optical and she has to have GPs. GPS in the car, in the phone, in the camera, on her bicycle, etc. Oh, and she likes the video and the pics that it takes too.

There's a point.... if the battery drains like clappers making movies, surely it'll drain like clappers on GPS.... anyone noticed?

GPS is current hungary too!

Dave

GPS battery drain is to be expected. What are clappers?

from the web,

Go like the Clappers - a clapper is the tongue of a bell …. the phrase “to run like the clappers” comes from when the bell was rung to tell the workers it was time for work in the morning. As it got closer to starting time, the bell was rung faster, if people were running late they picked up speed and ran as fast as the clappers (of the starting bell).

Announcements